What's new

Back To The Future Question (1 Viewer)

Craig_T

Second Unit
Look, the box is the only way to have it, because all 3 movies comprise a single storyline. It doesn't deserve to be partially owned by anyone, because it's basically one movie.
I guess everyone with copies of the various Star Wars films should toss them out then. After all, it's one big story and they shouldn't be partially owned by anyone.:rolleyes

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Craig, your line of reasoning makes absolutely no sense, as that analogy was never even partially alluded to.

You guys get on here and preach the ways of directors intent, on how the only proper way to release movies is in the OAR (to which I agree), but never stop to wonder whether other things are done at the request of those responsible for the movies. Perhaps Spielberg and the rest WANT the movies to be sold as a set only. If this is their wish, then I for one respect that.

Now, on the other hand, if this is the idea of the studio (s), then as consumers we have the right to voice our opinions. But, as fans of pieces of art, we have no say in anything that is done for art's sake.

cheers!

Josh

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
If I were the one making money off these releases then I would be making the same decisions for the most profit possible.
While I like what they're doing with this release (three good films for $40? Awesome!!), I must say it would probably be best for those making a profit to release each film individually for $25 a pop. I think most (I know, not all) people would want the trilogy as a whole. Then they'd get $75 as opposed to just $40.
I'd say this is actually quite generous.
Of course, if it's profitable, they'll probably end up releasing at least the first one individually.

Now MY question is: What's the packaging going to be like? I hope for three keepcases (or a two-or-three-thick keepcas), and not the cardboard TV-series style fare.

Brett Halsey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Here in Australia retailers have already been notified that BTTF 1 is coming out seperately before Christmas.

On the packaging of the trilogy here it states that it is a "limited edition trilogy pack", so it looks likely that the BTTF's are going to released on their own in the near future.

Craig_T

Second Unit
Craig, your line of reasoning makes absolutely no sense, as that analogy was never even partially alluded to.
If someone says that the BTTF trilogy should be seen and bought as one big film, and that they don't deserve to be owned individually, then why can't I make an analogy to some other series of films? You're comparing OAR presentations to packaging 3 films together and *I'm* the one that's reaching?

Brett Halsey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
I found some info on the single BTTF release:
Link Removed
Absolutely no extras, apart from interactive menu, scene selection and theatrical trailer :rolleyes

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The BTTF movies are the rare occasion where all 3 need to be in the same package.

Despite the gaps in release dates, the 3 movies were probably scripted as one big story. Would you buy only 1/3 of a Flash Gordon serial?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Would you buy only 1/3 of a Flash Gordon serial?
I wouldn't buy any parts of it. That's my point and the points others are trying to make. There are many fans of the first film only who don't have the disposable income to waste on a trilogy in this case.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
True, so can Star Wars, but that has the open ended escape of Darth Vader
Yes, but in BTTF Doc takes Marty and Jennifer to the future and saying there is trouble. I know they said there was never a planned sequel, but I think there might have been a slight possibility because of that ending. I'm not disagreeing with the packagaing though, I think they should be released both individually and in a box. Make it a choice for us. Personally, I like having all 3 - and I plan on buying the R1 version as well if it is significantly better.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I must say it would probably be best for those making a profit to release each film individually for $25 a pop. I think most (I know, not all) people would want the trilogy as a whole. Then they'd get $75 as opposed to just $40.
I really doubt, with the unpopularity of II, that casual fans would want to plop down $25 for it. Separately, BTTF would sell a lot, BTTF III would sell maybe half of that, and BTTF II would probably sell half of what III sold.

I think they're going to make a lot more money selling the trilogy in the $40 range than if they sold them separately for $25 each. If they were separate, I'd only be buying the first one, but I'll be springing for the set because I like the first one so much and the set is only around $40.

Terry H

Second Unit
If someone says that the BTTF trilogy should be seen and bought as one big film, and that they don't deserve to be owned individually, then why can't I make an analogy to some other series of films?
You can. Your analogy makes perfect sense.
I'm another who will not pay for films I disliked. One was great but the others were terrible. I knew this was going to happen when marketing started calling these films the "BTTF trilogy". Oh well, I'll pass. As for the guy who thinks he will sell off two and three... good luck. I haven't heard anyone saying how much the first film sucked but clamoring for two and three.;)
Sadly, I suspect the same fate awaits the Indiana Jones movies. When the marketing machine starts talking about the "Indiana Jones trilogy" you'll know you've been screwed. Again.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Let's not get too worked up about this, people. Let's rejoice that you can buy all three for a good price, and they they are the unaltered original versions of the movies. :emoji_thumbsup:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
As was mentioned before in this thread, I refuse to spend money on movies I do not like and will never watch. I have all the Star Wars, Star Trek and Indiana Jones movies available because I like them all and watch them regularly. I own Jurassic Park but not parts 2 and 3 because I don't like them.

Bottom line - If Back To The Future is released as a trilogy only, the studio will get no money from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks