What's new

Back to the Future is REALLY coming!!!! (1 Viewer)

John CW

Supporting Actor
There's a load of photo's from the Eric Stoltz footage at bttf.com . You can see that they practically shot half the film before getting Fox in. It must have been weird for the cast to redo all their scenes again!!

~ John

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Just to set the record straight - it's the British Board of Film Classification, not Classics! Every Brit movie, VHS or DVD release has to pass through the BBFC for classification if mainstream retailers are going to stock it. This costs money, so if the BBFC reports that it has vetted a particular movie, it generally means that the distributors are serious about releasing it.

There have been reports in the more reliable Brit media about the impending release of BTTF on DVD since the summer. The story being circulated is that the DVD couldn't be released until the present holders of the distribution rights came to the end of their licence period, or some such thing. The DVDs are said to have lots of extras, but personally, I'd settle for bare bones versions.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Of course we'll all run out and buy them, only to find out a year later that BTTF Ultimate Edition features more extras, new commentary tracks and some other flashy gizmo is coming out.
Gord :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It is my understanding from talking to very

reliable sources that will remain nameless that

the studio is simply waiting for the overseas

rights with Columbia to expire which is in Januray.

After that, I have been assured, that you will

be seeing a wave of most wanted Universal titles,

including Back To The Future trilogy.

Take THAT to the bank.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Wow, that is great great news! I haven't seen this flicks in a long long time, it's nice to know that they may finally show up next year.

John Simon

Second Unit
There's that word again: "Heavy!" Is there something wrong with the earth's gravitational pull in the future?
;)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
While I don't doubt Ron's sources, the question remains: why couldn't someone at Universal just have come out and said that the overseas rights were holding up the release? Though I suppose if they did that, we wouldn't have had this internet feeding frenzy for every scrap of information, building up the demand for the DVDs. I think we've been had by marketing masters.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

Does your source also say that the Trilogy will sport brand new 1080p high def.-sourced widescreen transfers? Did the soundtracks get a facelift too (they were Dolby Stereo A recordings originally)?

I don't want another MIB type screw up that's all. The video compression and telecine job was horrible.

Dan

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mark, think about the other company involved (the one with the expiring rights). Don't you think they might have been a little peeved about what Universal was doing?

It might have been the PC thing (in the corporate world) for Universal to remain silent.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I just picked up a christmas promo from Chapters-Indigo here in Toronto, and in their upcoming dvds for 02, BTF is listed. Here's to keep our fingers crossed. Now, what about the Indy Jones Series?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
DVDFILE just stated that the Indiana Jones trilogy won't be coming to DVD in 2002.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well, that would be a first....movie studios being polite and considerate to each other?
And if Columbia had the overseas distribution rights, how come THEY didn't put out a R2 DVD and make some bucks on it before their license ran out? If their license didn't cover DVD, then what the heck is Universal waiting for? One has to wonder about the decision making processes at work (or not) here.:D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
All good questions, and I won't pretend to know the answer. But you can imagine the politics of the rights between domestic and international studio bodies, and then couple it with the fact that the masters probably reside in one studio (Universal in this case). So maybe even if the overseas vendor wanted to put out a DVD, they couldn't obtain the master? Or maybe other back-door dealings were happening. Who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks