What's new

Back to the Future = Bilingual in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Shane Bryant

Agent
Does anyone know if it's going to have a bilingual cover in canada? I read that its supposed to have a slipcase outside of the triple alpha case, so perhaps the triple alpha will be untarnished, and just the slipcase will be bilingual?

Does anyone have pics of hte US or Canadian packaging?

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Shane,
Think I just replied to your thread regarding this on another forum, but again, Universal's Canadian DVDs rarely (if ever?) have bilingual packaging.

Chris

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
Again, sorry about the misinformation. That will teach me to spout my mouth off. But they all don't (eg Classic monsters collection, The Thing CE, Mallrats, 12 Monkeys, etc.) I really don't know why some do and some don't, I just assumed based on my collection.

Shane Bryant

Agent
ChristianB: However, if it has an outer slipcase, then possibly only that slipcase will be bilingual... in which case, I may be willing to buy it up here. Also, since it's a "big" title, they may stray from their bilingual policy as alliance atlantis did with FOTR: EE.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Here's the Canadian specs...

Disc 1
THE MAKING OF BACK TO THE FUTURE a rare behind the scenes look.
MAKING THE TRILOGY: CHAPTER 1. A retrospective look featuring CAST and CREW.
ALL NEW FEATURE COMMENTARY with Michael J.Fox, Director/Writer Robert Zemekis & Producer/Writer Bob Gale
Hilarious OUTTAKES.
DELETED SCENES.
Original MAKE-UP TESTS
STORYBOARDS to final feature comparisons
Theatrical TRAILER
Disc 2
BACK TO THE FUTURE PART 2 FEATURETTE - a rare behind the scenes look.
MAKING THE TRILOG: CHAPTER 2. A retrospective look featuring CAST and CREW
Hilarious OUTTAKES.
DELETED SCENES.
HOVER BOARD TEST on location.
PRODUCTION ARCHIVES photographs, original storyboards & props.
STORYBOARD to final feature comparison.
Theatrical TRAILER
Disc 3
MAKING THE TRILOGY: CHAPTER 3. A retrospective look featuring CAST and CREW
Hilarious OUTTAKES.
DELETED SCENES.
ZZ TOP music video DOUBLEBACK.
PRODUCTION ARCHIVES photographs, original storyboards & props.
STORYBOARD to final feature comparison.
Theatrical TRAILER
Video format: Widescreen
Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (DTS), French (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Subtitles: English, Spanish

is it me, or is there less here than the US version?

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I read a thread on a Canadian DVD website that the packaging will be English-only (so far, these are just rumours).

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Question: why does it matter? Canada is a bi-lingual country. For those who don't really understand what this means, it means that you have the right to have packaging, labels, etc. available in BOTH official languages. There is some weirdness, due to licensing issues that do crop up. Films distributed exclusively in Quebec, French only are often distributed by a different company in the rest of Canada/English Only. These are allowed to have uni-lingual covers - French or English only.

Now, I would like it if more titles were released w/reversible covers, but I suspect the economics of this are poor, due to the demographics of the country.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Please stop complaining about the covers for every film that is released. If you want english only covers, buy from the US.

This rant brought to you by an former Albertan, of all people.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Please stop complaining about the covers for every film that is released. If you want english only covers, buy from the US.
Nobody is complaining here. The whole purpose of this thread is to determine whether the DVD should be bought locally or imported.

The DVD is roughly 30% cheaper in Canada than in the USA, so most of us are tempted to buy the Canadian version. However, if the packaging is going to be bilingual, then we'll be buying the US version. Personally, I've already preordered it at two retailers (Canadian & US), and I'll just cancel one of them when someone confirms whether the packaging will be bilingual.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
is there any firm evidence that the canadian is identical ?
any sites reviewed the canadian copy ?
EDIT: oops i actually read the specs, seems like the Canadian is missing some extras, such as commentaries :frowning:

JasonRH

Second Unit
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Please stop complaining about the covers for every film that is released. If you want english only covers, buy from the US
Lance, I wasn't aware anyone had complained in this thread? Looking it over I don't see a single one.

If you have such a problem with the possibility of someone not liking a bilingual cover (and there are many who don't like them) then maybe you should avoid the issue and threads that deal with it? Just a thought.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I doubt any of the content will change for us.
First, I question the validity of the specs posted earlier in this thread as one of the features is a DTS track...which we know will NOT be included.
Second, in DVDFile's review, it is stated that the US version has two audio tracks (English 5.1, French 5.1). No additional French tracks need to be added so it seems logical that the rest of the content will remain unchanged.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks