1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

BACK TO THE FUTURE 2-Disc Special Edition DVD coming in February

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Stephen_Clark, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

This MAY be worth an upgrade if the aspect ratio is correct on all 3 films; I seem to recall that Part II was framed incorrectly the first time around?

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

^ They've been selling the corrected discs and a had mail-in program for the incorrect AR discs for years.

3. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

They're still offering an exchange for the corrected discs, though I do wonder if it will cease with this re-release.

I hope the complete "Back to the Future... The Ride" will be included with the trilogy on Blu-ray. Yes, I'm complaining in the wrong forum. [​IMG]

4. Stephen_Clark

[​IMG]

When we broke the news a couple weeks ago that Universal Studios Home Entertainment would be releasing a new Back to the Future 2-Disc DVD in February, naturally our inbox was instantly bombarded with questions, such as "How will The Ride be presented on DVD?", "Will it the Eric Stoltz footage be included?", and "Will the movies also be released on Blu-Ray at the same time?"

To get the official word on these pressing issues, I went directly to Writer/Producer Bob Gale for some quick answers:

(Article continued at BTTF.com.)

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Thanks for the info, Stephen! [​IMG]

6. John Stuart

John Stuart Agent

John Stuart
    Great news, I have both the 4-disc worldwide boxset and the R1 release (2002), but I was hoping they could finally release the BTTF cartoons. [​IMG]

Too bad we still don't have them, and the complete soundtrack with the missing score/songs from all movies (which I own, but are not official, and perhaps something is still missing). [​IMG]

7. sigmund100

sigmund100 Agent

Eric Douglas
    No double dip for me until Blu-Ray and Stoltz footage.

8. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Blu-Ray will happen. Stoltz footage? Good luck with that.

9. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    I still have my BTTF laserdisc (which I finally got around to transferring to a DVD-R yesterday). I never bought the DVD set- I guess mainly because I was never a huge fan of the sequels. At this point, I'll wait for the BTTF BluRay.

10. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

I can't blame them for not including BTTF: The Ride on the previous release. The ride only recently closed at the Universal Studios Theme Park - where it was replaced with The Simpsons Ride... ironically a property only about 4 years fresher than BTTF. [​IMG]

11. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Too bad there's no Stoltz footage. Being the crazy completist I am, I would also like if they included the "Johnny B. Goode" music video that ended with a deleted clip of Marty coining the term "rock and roll"

12. Christopher*KH

Christopher*KH Stunt Coordinator

If I am not mistaken Spielberg didnt direct the BTTF films...Robert Zemeckis directed them as for Spielberg ..

Produced by
    Neil Canton .... producer
    Bob Gale .... producer
    Kathleen Kennedy .... executive producer
    Frank Marshall .... executive producer
    "Steven Spielberg .... executive producer"

I loved the movies but to buy something that I already have that looks fine ..No thanks..and I am not a Blu owner as of yet...I need a better HDTV for all that and Im not there yet.LOL

13. davidshirt

davidshirt Auditioning

David
    I think the films have been remastered though so the quality should be better than the original 2002 transfers. Which is good.

14. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

HD masters were struck awhile back. HBO was showing the Trilogy in HD for awhile. I had them DVR'd, they looked good.

I don't think there was a problem with the transfer on the '02 set other than the framing snafu.

15. Count Chocula!

Tom
    Hmm, this has come at just the right time for me: I've had the first film for years on single disc, but never purchased the other two. Seems like now is the perfect time, too!

16. Stephen_Clark

17. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer

Luis
    Universal should wait until holographic DVDs come out in about 10 years cause I'm not tripple-dipping on this. [​IMG]

18. Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie Stunt Coordinator

Scott
    I'll definitely be re-buying the first film next week to get the extra features. I will probably pass on II and III, though.

However, I do have two questions:

First, a reviewer on Amazon mentioned that the "Looking Back to the Future" documentary isn't complete. Can anyone shed light on this comment? For instance, is it even true and, if so, what is the origin of this documentary?

Second, can anyone tell me what is different about the 4-disc "Ultimate" edition sold in the UK versus the 3-disc domestic version? I assume it does not have any of the new features coming next week, but does it have any extra features worth looking at?

Thanks.

19. Eric James

Eric James Agent

1. Looking Back to the Future was an independently made documentary about the trilogy Looking Back at the Future | An Agenda Films Production. I believe the person on Amazon was referring to the fact that only the footage about the first movie will be on the DVD.

2. The original UK 3 disk set was missing some bonus material from the US version (Q&A sessions, Enhanced Conversation with Micahel J. Fox,The Secrets Of The Back To The Future Trilogy" featurette, and deleted scenes commentary) the missing material was put on the fourth disk.

20. Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie Stunt Coordinator

Scott

Thanks, Eric.