Back to School DVD: What the ^%$$&(#????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenny Goldin, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

OK, does anyone else have the Back to School (Rodney Dangerfield) DVD? I was watching the widescreen (approx. 1.85:1) and some of the credits were cut off at the bottom, and a few minutes into the movie it looked like there was a lot of info cut off from the top of the screen. I switched to the full screen side of the disc and it appeared to lose nothing on the sides while gaining picture on the top and bottom (there is an exterior shot of a building about 5 minutes into the movie I used to compare--the same detail is on the sides, but added picture on the top and bottom). So, how do you watch it? What is the correct OAR? Is it 1:85.1 or is it 1.33:1 matted just for the sake of making it widescreen? And to make matters worse, IMDB lists it as 2.35:1 OAR!!! (http://us.imdb.com/Technical?0090685
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Jay and Silent Bob in
    CLERKS

2. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

I too am interested in the answer to this. I almost bought this the other day, but maybe I should hold off for a bit.

3. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

It looks like yet another movie shot to "protect" future video transferring. The OAR got to be full frame (open matte) if things look lopsided and visible image information is missing in the widescreen mode...perhaps too much zooming was utilized during transferring, resulting in some image cropping...
    -THTS

4. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

I just watched it full frame--and it was OK. I am really wondering why IMDB lists it as 2.35??? If so this is just another in a long line of botched DVDs out there. [​IMG]
    Still, it is the kind of movie I am watching to laugh, and mad do I laugh throughout. "What is with the midget?" [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Jay and Silent Bob in
    CLERKS

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Wes,
    I doubt this will be released anytime in the future and you can purchase it for less than 10.00! Still a good deal!

6. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

The IMDB is a joke with aspect ratios. Every time is film is listed correctly at 1.85:1, so asshole comes along and "corrects" it to 2.35:1. It's pathetic.
    Sounds like the transfer was "Zoomboxed" OR, worse, they may have used the old 1.33:1 transfer and simply added black bars. That does happen from time to time. The problem with that is that most 1.33:1 transfer are zoomed in, so making that transfer 1.85:1 crops credits & picture that is supposed to be seen.
    How is the picture quality/resolution between the two transfers?
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

7. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

People talked about this problem with the Back to School DVD when it was first released. I don't have this DVD, but it sounds like this may have been a film shot in Super 35. MGM probably just took the existing semi-cropped 1.33:1 transfer and simply masked to 1.85:1 instead of going back to the original un-cropped Super 35 negatives and properly transfering the correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio.
    This is the fault of MGM, not the letterboxing process.
    MGM should be ashamed for this huge error.
    ------------------
    LuvLBX

8. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Where can you buy it for $10?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Jay and Silent Bob in
    CLERKS

9. Matt Krapf

Matt Krapf Stunt Coordinator

You can buy it anywhere it's sold for $10 or less(9.99)
    Borders(where I got it)
    Barnes & Noble
    Best Buy
    etc.
    I guess it's been "remaindered" by the studio.
    Matt