What's new

Back-to-Back New Eps of Enterprise 5/8/02: Discussion (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jeff: That's missing the point. As a fan of the franchise since September 1966, I am always hopeful this latest incarnation of the Trek phenomenon will, pun intended, reach for the stars. I've lauded Enterprise when it has excelled, and, likewise, I have excoriated the show when it plunged to the depths of Voyager. Come on. JB

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
'Enterprise' just a TV series, turn the channel if it isn't appealing.
I...just...cant...change...the...channel...

Perhaps I still have hope that this series will produce a halfway intelligent and daring episode that captures the sense and adventure of space exploration instead of this re-hashed, politically correct, post-modernist, crap that it has become.

Perhaps its just season 1 jitters...

-ikiru

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
The other day i was looking back on the last 3 trek series and Enterprise is still the one with the best season 1 .

Enterprise has had some pretty good episodes so far. More then some trek series had in there first 2 seasons. I listed my favorites of the first season, but i would still watch the others again in a heart beat

Broken Bow

Fight or Flight

Unexpected

The Andorian Incident

Cold Front

Silent Enemy

Shadows of P'jem

Shuttle Pod One

Dear Doctor

Aquistion

Detained

Fallen Hero

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dan: Loved your post.
Joey: I know preferences are strictly subjective. But none of the spinoff Treks had so dazzling, marvelous a first season as TOS. To this day, first-season TOS is state-of-the-art Star Trek. (IMO, of course! Well, sort of. :))

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Dare I say that I think Scott Bakula's Captain Archer is the least interesting of the characters on the show? (Oh, I did).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And so have a few others, Peter! (Actually, I like him--but I think he's still feeling his way through the character.)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I think Bakula has become a lot better from the start of the season.

My fav charectors though are

Trip

Malcolm

Phlox

T'pol

They havent done anything really with Travis and Hoshi to this point. With Archer they are experimenting with him, and they still havent figured out totally what they want to do

capt

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone watched Enterprise and tried to view it pretending nothing else from Star Trek existed? View it as a completely new series without comparing it to the rest.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I keep thinking of it as AFTER Kirk's time, closer to TNG. I don't know why. Maybe it's the technology and the ship design, which is similiar to the Akira class. And having a holodeck in the episode when Tripp gets pregnant didn't help this delusion any.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Frank:

The problem with what you suggest is that StarTrek has developed such an overall backstory arc in the first place. From TNG on, individual episodes often make reference to events that have occurred in other episodes and even in episodes from the other series. We're already seeing this cross-referencing taking place in Enterprise. So the writers are making that idea well nigh impossible. Besides, as you know, the fans cannot and will not take that approach!

JB

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

All true. But again, I seem to enjoy the show much more than others. I wonder why? I do try to lose myself in the current show. I don't look for hidden meaning. I don't compare it to past Trek. I don't look for inconsistencies. And sometimes, just sometimes I could careless if the actors give me Academy Award performances. It's Trek and I am going to try and enjoy as much as I can. Sure I don't like everything but I didn't on TNG either. B&B (or at least one of them) has already said they don't care much about continuity so I am trying to enjoy the only new Trek currently on TV.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I've been watching this series. I occasionally watched DS9 and Voyager so I can't compare Enterprise to them. I'm a big fan of TNG and the Trek movies.

As for Enterprise, I find it moderately interesting. I never have the urge to watch an episode more than once. I have missed a few the past few weeks due to moving and I haven't missed it.

I had high hopes for this series due to the premise of exploring for the first time and inventing the technologies of the future. I feel they have abandoned this premise and put the show on autopilot. If it doesn't get better I will be tuning out.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have a hard time watching this show in a vacuum, so to speak. :)
Here's the difference, I derive more enjoyment out of Smallville (knowing what Clark Kent will turn into) than Enterprise (with all of its foreshadowing that sets the table for TOS. And the main difference has been the writing on the 2 shows. One set of writers show a little more respect for the material they are working on and know how to throw in future bits while making it seem relevant for today, while the other set of writers are satified with recycling old scripts time and time again, or putting female Vulcans in skimpy outfits on display for no good reason.
I'll watch the last couple of episodes this season, but if something better comes along in the Wednesday night timeslot next season (we're talking after "Ed" and "Dawson's Creek" in order of preference since I only have 3 VCRs), I'll give it one more season to hook me.
As for the 2 episodes this past week:
The 1st: Having T'Pol suggest that the crew get some R&R in her unsubtle way was funny. We know how Archer deal with the stress, he's got Porthros to play with. Annoying with the Vulcan diplomat keeping mum while letting Enterprise get tagged with blasts from her would-be hunters. The bit of interaction between T'Pol and the diplomat was okay. Would smoke/steam come out of the anti-matter engines when pushed to the WARP 5 limit? The over-acting of Phlox was a bit that I did enjoy when the hunters shot the sick bay bed supposedly with the diplomat.
The 2nd: Nice bit of lacross to start off a case of heat stroke for trip. Is Archer in that much better shape than Trip? Clancy Brown was a little over the top. Before it's all over with, Malcolm will be inventing a lot of stuff used for the future ST universe. Is the universe really this small (the Suliban spreading the legend of John Archer)? Not a memorable episode.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
One set of writers show a little more respect for the material they are working on and know how to throw in future bits while making it seem relevant for today, while the other set of writers are satified with recycling old scripts time and time again, or putting female Vulcans in skimpy outfits on display for no good reason.
Exactly! That's what I've been maintaining all along.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, granted I'm no biology expert, but I think who's in better shape has only a small part to do with who is more likely to get heatstroke. Individual body temperatures, who played harder in the lacrosse game, and other factors have a big part in that, too.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Frank Anderson wrote:

That would be impossible, unless one has never made viewing any of the other series a habit.

The marketing strategy of the producers which uses---even heavily depends on---the "Star Trek"/"Enterprise" brand inevitably invites this comparison. They're not allowed to weasel out when the comparison comes off unfavorably. Not in my book, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks