back surround sound

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joe A, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Joe A

Joe A Auditioning

I have a new JVC RX-7030VBK receiver with dolby digital EX/dts ES built in. After connecting and setting the receiver up,I cannot get sound from the back surround speakers--not even a test tone. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't sound good, Joe. No pun intended.

If they don't even produce the test tones it's either very simple or very bad.

Do you have multimeter? I'd be looking for a nominal 8 ohms at the ends of each speaker wire before they connect to the terminals at the receiver.

If you can't measure the impedance of the speaker through the wire, the wire is suspect.

If you can't measure the impedance of the speaker at it's terminals, the speaker's suspect.

But since you say none of the surrounds produce sound, either the amps are suspect, or it's a simple setting. The latter seems unlikely.

3. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Are you sure you got all the setup settings right in your receiver?
    You should take your manual and re-read slowly and double check your settings, one at a time, step by step........make sure you have setup for digital 5.1 output, instead of analog stereo. Make sure the receiver knows that you have rear speakers hooked up. The digital inputs on the receiver have to be assigned for what you have plugged into it. The dB settings for the speakers are usually set to 0. Try turning them up a little, and see if that helps. I have the JVC 8020. If I was there, I could help better...........
    Make sure your dvd player's setup right too. The digital output has to be set to bitstream, not pcm....... Are you using a digital coax or an optical cable from dvd to receiver?
    Like I said......just go through setup again, step by step, in the receiver. It's possible you got a bad one. It happens once in awhile. If setup again doesn't help, return it and get another one. Once you get it going.........you'll love the JVC.

4. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I would agree check your setup again to make sure it is configured for the right amount of speakers that you have.

5. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

I think the 7030 is a 6.1-ch receiver with 7.1 output terminals. The mono Bs amp is set to drive 2 surrounds, but they get wired in series by the internal jumper between the output jacks. When you have only 1 Bs speaker, you have to follow the rear panel markings and use the + from one set of binding posts and the - from the other, not the usual + and - in vertical alignment

6. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Roger is correct. I had the same problem with my Pioneer 811 and it was because I skipped the manual and just thought you could plug 1 speaker into a set but it has to be done exactly like Roger mentions.

7. Joe A

Joe A Auditioning

Thanks for the input guys,but I already tried everything you suggested before I wrote in.The connections and the setup are correct so I think, like Stephen said,it must be the amp. Bummer. Can you believe a brand new receiver would be broken right out of the box? Also, the store doesn't carry this model anymore so an exhange is not possible. On the bright side it's still under warranty.Thanks again.I really do appreciate it.

8. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

That is too bad you got a bum receiver. Hopefully the warranty work won't take long.