What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
While possibly not reaching quite the emotional peaks of Imitation of Life or All That Heaven Allows, two of producer Ross Hunter’s previous cinematic high spots, Back Street will undoubtedly please the many fans of the stars who have been awaiting its release on Blu-ray.

Back Street (1961)

Released: 12 Oct 1961
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 107 min

Director: David Miller
Genre: Drama

Cast: Susan Hayward, John Gavin, Vera Miles
Writer(s): Fannie Hurst, Eleanore Griffin, William Ludwig

Plot: In Lincoln, the ambitious aspirant-designer Rae Smith has an incident with a wolf department store businessman and is rescued by the Marine Paul Saxon. They immediately fall in love with each other and spend the night together. On th

IMDB rating: 6.8
MetaScore: N/A...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Looking forward to picking this up. I do enjoy Ross Hunter melodramas. I have a feeling some people may quibble with the aspect ratio as it’s debatable whether 2.00:1 was still being employed by Universal by 1961, but that is the same ratio that was on the DVD, and the slightly wider ratio is quite aesthetically pleasing as it is reminiscent of Sirk.

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I watched the blu ray last night. The was shocked how grainy the transfer is. The color seemed faded and yes brownish skin tones. My MOD DVD looks better. What happened?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
What happened? Universal obviously used an older IP that was faded and no one (Kino keeps saying they supervise the color and clean-up work) apparently did color correction. Oh, well. I don't care WHAT the movie is, in the year 2021 I do not want to see a brown transfer from anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
francischen
Recent bookmarks