Back Speaker Suggestions for all Paradigm System

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnKings, Dec 23, 2001.

1. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

I would really appreciate some suggestions for back speakers for the following setup.

Receiver = Denon AVR-3802

Fronts & Backs = Mini Monitors

Sub = PDR-10

Center = CC-370

I have been seeing alot of people using Atoms as back speakers. Are the requirements from a back speaker less than that of the fronts and surrounds?

Do you think I should upgrade my fronts and move my front Mini Monitors to the back?

Thank you for your help!

John

2. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

If you can upgrade the mains I would definitely do that. It is definitely better to spend money to upgrade the mains rather than to upgrade the back surrounds. The back surrounds don't do too much in HT performance, your rear side surrounds actually do a lot more. For multichannel music the back surrounds are more important than your rear sides.

I myself am debating as to whether to spend the money on getting a pair of rear centers. I believe they add quite a bit to the whole surround experience whether it's important enough to spend the money on a good pair of speakers is another matter. But given the choice you would definitely gain more by upgrading the mains and moving your worst speakers to the back. Timbre matching is still important though but the most important thing is to have the Front 3 speakers timbre match.

I personally prefer dipoles on the sides so I would add the ADP370s to the rears and move the two monitors to the back.

I'm not really familiar with the Monitor series but from looking at Paradigms site I would suggest a few things. First what are your future plans? Do you just want to have a 7ch setup and just be done with it? Or do you plan to slowly upgrade your system? If you just want to add 7ch I would add the ADPs or buy another set of monitors. If you want to upgrade your system I would try to upgrade to the Reference line if possible. They are really a big step up IMO. Upgrade the mains to the Reference series line and then add to in in the future. Hope this helps.

3. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

JohnKings, better upgrade the fronts and use mini monitors for back. Get Reference Studio 60 or 80 or 100 for fronts if you can afford it. It will cost you more money, but the result will be much better.

4. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    I would invest in good pair of speakers for the center surrounds because there will be more and more movies coming out with 6.1 surround. Contrary to what Howard said, I think that for multichannel music, the side surrounds are more important. There are only a few DTS 6.1 music cd's out there but I have not tried DVD audio yet.

5. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

i also would suggest getting better mains. When i auditioned the Mini Monitors a week ago, i was surprised on how muddy they sounded. In fact i listened to it over and over just to confirm that they were indeed muddy since a lot of people have been praising the mini's. I even saw someone say that he couldn't tell the difference with the mini monitors and the studio 20's. There's definately a big difference on those units as the studio 20 offers more clarity and bass extension than the mini monitors.

6. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Matthew. I don't think there's 7ch material yet as you said but for now, receivers will force multichannel music through the 7 speakers unless you tell them not to do so). So 5.1 music will be played through 7ch. This is a feature of most 7ch capable receivers. So when this happens most receivers will decrease the sound from the rear sides and increase the sound coming from the rear centers. Conversely in movies, the extra sound will come from the rear sides while sound coming from the rear centers will be decreased. At least this is what THX Ultra2 does.

So judging from that, I believe that the rear centers might actually be more important than the rear sides for music. I have not tried out multichannel music so I can't tell you. If anyone plays multichannel music through 7 speakers please help us answer this question. What I would do is to have dipole rear surrounds as I said. As I said placing your worst speakers as your rear centers is the safest way to go.