Back of my DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Griffith, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

I have a 5 year old DVD player.

It has the following connection in the back

2 RCA Style Outputs

1 S-video Output

1 Component Video Output

1 some sort of Digital output (I think)

this last one is part of the question.

The are two white RCA female ports and an unknown port between them (Kind of square looking). What is this series of ports and what would I send the signal to?

Also my TV is and HDTV Ready TV the 47" Panny thats been discussed several times on these boards. I know the component video will be an improvement between my s-video hook up but would the picture benefit from a progressive scan DVD Player? Would it be a noticable difference?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It would be helpful if you provided the model of the DVDplayer.

The 2 RCA outputs should be the left/right audio outputs.

The square connector appears to be the TOSLink (optical) digital output. It's what sends the Dolby Digital/dts bitstream to the receiver to be decoded into glorious 5.1/6.1 audio. But I'm not sure what the other 2 RCA ports are.

Your DVD player might have both digital outputs (coax/RCA and TOSLink).

If your TV can handle progressive material via the 3 component input, most probably, your TV would produce amazing video quality for DVD that are 16x9 anamorphically enhanced.

The single video output must be the COMPOSITE video output, a typical video output found on all DVD players.

High quality DVD players are so inexpensive nowaday given what they are capable of doing, you owe it to yourself to upgrade your DVD player to take advantage of your TV's capabilities.

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Bill: Hi fellow Houstonian! I don't know what the white RCAs are, but the square output is probably an optical digital output. And yes, a progressive DVD player WILL produce a noticably better image on your Panasonic because the digital work is done within and at the same time inside your DVD player and just passed natively to your Pani's screen. Also, in most cases, the line doubler and 2:3 pulldown of DVD players are superior to those used in RPTVs.

4. Bill Griffith

sorry just to help.

I have a Proscan DVD Player.

It could play Divx in the day that Divx was.

the 2 RCA connection are outputs thats 2 Red and two White and 2 Video.

There is an S-video Connection

There is a Component Video Connection (Thats the Red, Green, and Blue RCA style plugs)

and theres this Digital thingy with the 2 white RCA style female ports straddling it.

I would need to upgrade my Reciever because its older than my DVD player and doesn't have the Dolby 5.1 Decoder.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Oh! I have probably a similar/same Proscan DVD player, mine is the Proscan PS8680Z.

The 2 strange white RCA outputs are for used with a TV that doesn't offer composite video inputs, but rather need the old RF-modulated input (your TV's RF coax input). To use that old RF output from the DVD player, you need a coax/Rf adapter to make the connection to the TV's RF input.

It seems when this DVD player was designed, it was designed for maximum backwards compatibility with the existing TV sets in people's homes, including the older ones that only have the RF coax input (from the antenna or cable).

And as noted, this player came with 2 sets of analog audio outputs and 2 sets of composite video outputs. It was a feature rich player for its time. I think the only drawback was that you only got an optical digital output (no coax RCA digital output).

6. Bill Griffith

Yep thats the exact same one I have.

thanks man.