What's new

Back Cover Art - Star Trek V: CE (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
in the insert for Nemesis, the Picard pic they used was from the TV series and not the film
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the TV series? They used a ten year old photo?
Nemesis used photos of Stewart and Spiner that were taken for Generations, when some of the crew were still wearing the tv series uniforms, and some were wearing DS9 uniforms.

I beleive the following custom cover (ie fan made art) uses that insert art. You can clearly see Picard's red tv-series uniform.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Cool fan-created art, even better than the green cover for the actual DVD artwork!

To point out, the picture of Data is in his movie uniform circa "First Contact", "Insurrection", or "Nemesis". But Picard's is definitely series-based.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If you're going to have a good insert, put some meat into it. . .I will give this to Artisan: with their Ultimate and Extreme Editions of T2, they put in some really good insert booklets filled with meat in them. And the insert booklet from Fox's The Abyss SE had some good meat in it as well. Paramount could learn some lessons here.
What if there was some guy at Paramount who read this and started putting bologna slices between the pages of the inserts?:D

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Just a quick bump and an update.

The artwork on the new Trek V DVD has been revised, and the Trek VI photo has been replaced with a proper cast photo.

Neil

Dennis

Second Unit
Thank God. Now I watch the picture like it was meant to - with a bag over my head :D
:laugh:

I don't remember disliking the film as much as some here do. I don't remember much of it, that doesn't mean it was bad, it's just been awhile since I first saw it. I do remember that I enjoyed Laurence Luckinbill's performance in it. Also, there's something about seeing the cast in action that just makes ALL of the films entertaining, some more than others.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
What if there was some guy at Paramount who read this and started putting bologna slices between the pages of the inserts?
Isn't that what Rick Berman is giving us with ENTERPRISE? All together now... "My baloney has a first name, it's R-I-C-K-B-E-R-M-A-N / My baloney has a second name, it's B-R-A-N-N-O-N-B-R-A-G-A..." :D

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
But the question is: What does God need with a Starship? Will he sing "Row row your boat" all the way to Earth while Scotty bumps his head on the ship he is supposed to know so well?

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
No they didn't. That is Laurence Luckenbill in the photo.
He's not referring to the photo on the back cover. He's talking about an incorrect cast photo on the DVD insert mockup. I have seen the final product with my own eyes and, the problem has, indeed, been corrected. Much thanks to Paramount Home Entertainment for seeing that this was fixed.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I wonder if Paramount digitally lengthened Luckinbill's hair during the final sequence. I don't know why, but it always bothered me that he had long hair for most of the movie and then has short hair when he steps out of the shuttlecraft when they land on the planet. :laugh:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The disc has an interesting commentary track. I didn't necessarily like some of the things that Shatner has to say, but at least he acknowledges some of the films problems, even pointing out that they pass the same deck in the tuboshaft scene.

Wait until you hear Harve Bennet's sales pitch for this movie. The rock monster stuff is also very cool to see.

Neil

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
DVDFile.com has a review online today of the new DVD. Check it out. They give it a rating of 3 1/2 on a 1-5 scale.

Hey Neil, how'd you get your hands on a copy so early? You lucky guy, you! ;)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
If I'm so lucky how come I get stuck with a DVD of Star Trek V yet I'm still waiting for Yankee Doodle Dandy and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre? :)

Neil

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Well, we could always swap out :D j/k

Seriously, I feel like those people in the Klondike ads, "What would you do for a preview copy of Star Trek on DVD?"

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to add some info I discovered about my copy of the disc:

* It has a Dolby-EX flag on it! My receiver (a Pioneer VSX-37tx) usually stays on 'STANDARD auto' as its default for automatic detection of the Dolby EX or DTS-ES flag, and Star Trek V distinctly displayed the Surround Back icon on my channel display. I can also verify that the mix doesn't collapse into the center channel and that there were several instances of distinct center surround activity. Check Chapter 2, the POV shot of McCoy monitoring Kirk on El Capitan through his 'binoculars', for an example.

* From the first time I saw it in the theater, through all of the previous home video incarnations, I distinctly remember the opening title and cast credits having an unseemly 'wobble' to them. It looks as if there was some touch-up work done here as they are now perfectly solid.

* This last item may be VERY subjective, but several optical shots I remember as looking quite flat (mostly beauty shots of the Enterprise during the shuttle's approach) on previous releases now have a greater sense of depth to them, with a richer color pallette. Most likely an effect of the superior transfer, but one would think a more detailed transfer would reveal more flaws in the source...

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I also noticed that the main title was a little less shaky. I always thought this looked exceptionally cheap.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks