What's new

Back Cover Art - Star Trek V: CE (1 Viewer)

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I've always been astonished with the wretchedness of this film.

I'm also astonished that this franchise has fallen so far from grace that it should be documented in the Bible.

I am not astonished that they chose not to allow Shatner to revisit this title as a Director's cut. That would almost be something that would please the dedicated fans. This will definitely be one of the ST SEs that I will not buy (but might rent just to hear/read the commentaries).

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
I havn't seen this for ages and I'm actually quite excited about the release. I think both the commentary and text commentary should be really good on this film.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Man, when Paramount is churning out crappy inserts by simply rehashing what's on the back cover of details, instead of having some good information on the inserts (for example, the Robert Wise commentary on the insert for the Star Trek: TMP DVD), and all they do is smack a picture on there, and nothing else on the front and back cover beyond the DVD title logo, it's time someone at Paramount's home entertainment division starts looking for work elsewhere.

Besides, they got the photo wrong again! That's the cast photo from Star Trek VI. That's three Star Trek movie SE DVDs they've gotten wrong photos slapped on for no particular reason.

If you're going to have a good insert, put some meat into it - like a mini version of the script, a screen saver CD-ROM, notes on the making of the film, restoring the film, something of interest. I will give this to Artisan: with their Ultimate and Extreme Editions of T2, they put in some really good insert booklets filled with meat in them. And the insert booklet from Fox's The Abyss SE had some good meat in it as well. Paramount could learn some lessons here.

As for the deleted scenes, the only one that seems to be worth anything here is the complete dialog with the three diplomats. The other three scenes appear to be mere snippets. At four minutes, that's not enough real meat to add to the meal.

DanHaya

Second Unit
Bill, I must be missing something. Which photo are you talking about? All I see are ST-V specific images. I don't see a "cast" photo anywhere.
Joel, check the link from a few posts back...there, you'll see the insert artwork and photos. It's definitely a cast photo from ST VI...you can tell from Nichelle Nichols' (Uhura) hairdo. Remember, she had that funky salt-and-pepper/Tina Turner 'do going on in ST V.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
And not only that, but in that particular photo Sulu is ranked a Captain. And check out the Enterprise set behind the cast. That's the set that appeared in VI. The set in V looked like a cross between the movie set from IV and the bridge set from TNG.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Cool your jets everyone. I've already alerted Paramount to the problem with the insert photo and have assurances from the powers that be that it will be fixed in time for the release.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Oh boy, motion menus!

Oh and Bill, here are the DVD's where the wrong artwork has been used.

Star Trek - The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition: the photo of the Enterprise on the cover of the booklet is from Star Trek II. I think you can even see the Genesis planet in the background.

Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan: the photo of Kirk on the back cover is from Star Trek III.

Star Trek III - The Search for Spock: the photo of the crew on trial is from Star Trek IV.

And now we have this new insert with the wrong photo on it. That makes four mistakes, not three. :)

Neil

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
And I just remembered... in the insert for Nemesis, the Picard pic they used was from the TV series and not the film, so that would make five errors. Have mercy! :)

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Yeah, I told them about the Nemesis mistake a few months prior and nothing was done about that one :frowning: So I wouldnt hold out much hope for this mistake either...

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Well Trek V did use the TNG sets... (so did Trek VI, but they did a better job redressing them).

Christopher D

Second Unit
My favorite feature is "Commentary by ... Liz Shatner, author of the book Captain's Log: William Shatner's personal account of the Making of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier".

:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks