Babylon 5!!...Where are you???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Mar 15, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I cannot believe we have not heard anything new regarding Babylon 5 on dvd. I did read that the initial 2 movie release was a success and that season 1 was a go. Well that was 3 months ago and we have heard nothing since. Has Warner been looking at what has been the hot sellers on dvd?....TV shows.

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    According to The Digital Bits the series is indeed a "go", with the first episodes due this fall. No details available as yet. So we're unlikely to see an official announcement until somewhere around June. And it has been confirmed that Columbia House is offering B5 on DVD as one of its subscription collections, so Warner Bros. must be supplying some kind of source material to them.
    In the meantime, we all still need to let Warner Bros. know how we want the series released - full-season sets, anamorphic widescreen, 5.1 sound if possible, plenty of extras (especially commentary tracks) and decent packaging. If I could afford it, I'd buy the ST:TNG S1 set and mail it to Doug Wadleigh with a note saying, "This is how you should handle the extras and the packaging." [​IMG]
    Here's the address, for those of you who haven't written yet - and for those who want to write again. [​IMG]
    Mr. Douglas Wadleigh
    Vice-President, Marketing and Special Features
    Warner Home Video
    4000 Warner Blvd.
    Burbank, CA 91522
    Regards,
    Joe

3. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

I believe I will write a letter to him this evening. Thanks for the address.

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'm looking at this from another angle. They didn't expect the sales of the one that they released. In the meantime, they have a pile 'stacked' up and ready for pressing. Then this Bablon 5 mess comes up. Whoever is in charge just says, "Well, put it on the bottom. We'll get to it."

Glenn

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Glenn:
    Not being a wiseass, but I have no idea what your post means. They didn't expect the first disc to sell, so they "stacked up" a bunch of episodes? Then a "Babylon 5 mess" (what does this refer to?) came up, so they put something on the bottom of the pile. What? [​IMG]
    Joe

6. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I think what Glenn meant was that WB didn't expect the first disc to sell, and that their pressing facility is already working on other things so further episodes of B5 got put at the back of the line.

7. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Given WBs track history, that sounds about right.

In two years they have solidly gone from the DVDphiles friend to the DVDphiles enemy.

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    WB has certainly deteriorated over the years, but the most recent trends are positive, so I don't understand the reason for all the gloom and doom. (Apart from the seeming built-in tendency for members of this forum to see the glass as perpetually half-empty, and to announce the sky is falling everytime a studio does one thing we don't like, of course. [​IMG])
    They reversed course on the Wonka special edition in response to consumer pressure. They bagged the Friends "best of" sets and are going to full seasons. True, they released the latest South Park as a "theme pack", but a) it may have already been too far along in production to stop when WB reconsidered its TV product and b) they may actually have been telling the truth when they said that they don't make the decisions regarding South Park and that they're following the orders of whoever does.
    As for the B5 timeline, I don't see the problem, and I certainly don't see any "mess". They released the "test" disc in December of 2001. It would take a few months for them to accumulate and analyze sales data. They were certainly unsure about the appeal of the show, but I think it is going too far to say that they "expected" it to fail. If they were that sure, they wouldn't have bothered releasing the disc at all. As it is they did a brand-new anamorphic transfer for In the Beginning, an expense that they could have skipped. We know from JMS that based purely on the pre-order numbers they started "conforming" the episodes for DVD release before the disc even went on sale, and had nearly completed S1 by the street date for the movie disc.
    In that same e-mail JMS mentioned the WB had definite plans to release at least "the first couple of seasons" provided the sales of disc #1 held up. Conservatively that means at least 22 episodes to be mastered and compressed, menus to be created and - I hope - some of the extras we've been clamoring for to be produced. Fox still takes six months to turn out an X-Files set, and they've been at it for awhile. I'll bet it took longer to put the first season together, because they were learning as they went. If WB takes 8 or 9 months to get B5 S1 out the door (especially if they follow-up with S2 before year's end) this would hardly indicate foot-dragging.
    According to the Bits WB didn't greenlight the project until late January. It is now mid-March and people are already complaining that it is taking too long to get the discs. Personally I'd rather wait and have them done right. (How many of you would really have been thrilled, given the current trends in TV on DVD, if WB had stuck to their original plan and started trickling out two episodes per disc, in 4:3 only, with no extras in late 1999 or early 2000. According to usually reliable sources it was consumer demand for widescreen and boxed sets - coupled with the success of X-Files and (relatively) poor sales for Trek: TOS - that led them to abandon this idea.)
    So they do listen, even if not as quickly as we'd like.
    Keep those cards and letters coming. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Joe

9. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator