Babylon 5: Season 1 street date and SRP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Jul 13, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The street date and SRP info can now be found here.
    It's pretty much what you all expected. Not Friends-like prices, but not X-Files-like either.
    That's all the new info I got for you so far, but I'll keep you guys abreast as news pores in.

2. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Still no 100% word on anamorphic?

This is 22 hours of show (ignoring commercials). I believe that is less than X-Files bit more than Friends, so maybe the price is pretty much on target?

Andy

3. David Lambert

Expect anamorphic. I just don't have solid word on that yet. But expect it.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

While it's not Buffy-like in pricing, it's still not too shabby. There goes another $350-$500...

5. David Lambert

This *WOULD* have to hit on the same day as a TNG season set! [​IMG] (S5, BTW)

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Damn.a fair price, but still... this'll take a quite a bit of saving up to afford. Well, at least it's not as much as the ST: TNG box sets.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

8. David Lambert

Joe, I agree with everything you said. I didn't recall that JMS had confirmed that the intros were shot, nor did I recall that the commentaries were definately at two.
    Do you think it's important to change them right away? If so, e-mail me the way you think I ought to show that entry (you should still have my address, but if you don't then I've still got yours).
    Personally, I was content to leave it that way until the official WB press release hit, but I'm flexible. [​IMG]

9. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

What joe said was posted by JMS on the B5 newsgroup but i would wait for the official press release before you change anything. We know he is doing at least 2 commentaries and there are interviews and such on the set.

Capt

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Dave:
    Not that big a deal. I posted that more as a reminder for readers of this thread (especially those that hit "first new post" and haven't read the earlier messages) than anything else. If it were going to be months before we got the official WHV announcement it might be worth updating, but that will probably come in the next week or two, so you may as well wait for the final word from them.
    BTW, UK fans might be interested in knowing that Blackstar is accepting pre-orders for the R2 release. No cover art as yet, but they give October 14th as the release date and £49.99 as their sell price. (No list price given. £49.99 comes out to about $80 USD, or around the discount price I'd expect to see on the U.S. set.)
    Regards,
    Joe

11. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Do we know if, part of Season 1 includes the pilot, The Gathering?

12. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    The Gathering is not part of Season 1. It is a standalone movie (and was only divided into a 2-parter episode for the purposes of the daily serial TV repeats). And it was already issued last December by WHV with In the Beginning on a double-sided disc.

So, it is unlikely that they would include the Gathering as part of the Season 1 set.

13. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

14. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

15. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

16. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Is that $100 MSRP? We should be seeing it for around $70 and under at places like Playcentric then.
    Still, for 22hrs, the SG-1 season2 box set is a little easier to swallow at $35 shipped. [​IMG]

17. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

The price on this set is higher than I would have imagined. I was hoping for $40 retail, (ala Buffy) but realistically thought $60-70 (ala Stargate SG-1). While I'm enough of a fan to purchase it for $100 (which is what, like, $80-90 retail?), I'm afraid the price will scare off the casual fan or first time viewers. As much as I like TNG, I haven't been keeping up with the releases due to the high price tag and release pattern. And let's not even talk about The X-Files, which I would have liked to own but is ridiculously priced, imho. I know that even at $100 , B5 would be quite a value when the number of hours is divided by cost, but still.... there is only so much money and so many releases each month. I've found it much easier to purchase every release of Buffy, The Simpsons, As Time Goes By, and Stargate (now and in the next couple of months) because of their better value.
    Even when Paramount screwed up TOS they stuck with it to the end. I truly hope WB is as committed to a full 5 season release on B5, no matter the sales (crossing my fingers).

18. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I just spoke with Richard Biggs (Dr Franklin) this weekend and he confirmed that he had done an interview to be included in the box set. Sorry, I don't know how many others participated, but this would seem to indicate that they are planning some sort of documentary.

Ric

19. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

20. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

My wife is starting to look at me a bit crosseyed on my TV series DVDs.

First it was all the ST:TOS, Farscape Season 1, TNG DVDs up to Season 3, Sopranos.

Not to mention 'What on earth' ones such as the Prisoner and Thunderbirds. She just doesn't get those two at all.

Then I told her Babylon 5 was coming.

her only question was 'Is it going to be $99 a set like TNG??' which she just figured out (after the third one came in the mail). Told her tha twas list price...

hehe.

DVD Empire has it for $70 I think it is.