What's new

Babylon 5 scripts being published - including the alternate B5 outline with Sinclair (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

They used a bulk email provider with a questionable background to send out the message, resulting in messages being blocked by various spam filters, including those at gmail and yahoo.

Kris_AB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris
$29.99 ? No thanks, too poor. They're planning on trying to release one every two to three weeks...too much spent on scripts/behind the scenes-y stuff I might not even get around to reading for a long time.

Just gonna have to hope that any interesting/amusing/insightful anecdotes in these books trickle out to the rest of the fandom. I can't see someone transcribing that entire exclusive fifteenth volume, so I realize I'll probably miss out on a lot of cool stuff, but hopefully those who get it will share the important bits and maybe at least put the Sinclair outline online.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Well, JMS keeps writing about more and more material he is finding to put in the volumes. So, perhaps they will be worth the $34 (that includes the US shipping) that they cost the first week on sale. I guess we'll find out when they start arriving.

I'm sure some of the material will leak out through fandom.

By the way, when I ordered my copy I was given the opportunity to send a Cafe Press coupon code out - good for $5 off your first order with them. I'll presume it is okay to post it here as an extra incentive for folks to get them:

VOTINGGRAPES (valid until Nov 06, 2005).

There probably are other coupon codes that other people had generated.

Neil

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
It seems that they have had quite a few orders. I, and many others, recently received this email message from Cafe Press:

Neil

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
CafePress is a print-on-demand house, so they basically have no inventory on hand and they produce the books as orders come in. Given that they have other titles to produce and finite production capacity, this was almost inevitable (given the size and, er, enthusiasm of B5 fans. Don't forget, this is the bunch that drove the original B5 TV movie disc into the Amazon Top 25 within 24 hours of somebody at Amazon screwing up and making it available for pre-order about 2 o'clock Eastern time on a Saturday morning before there was any advertising, promotion or even an officially announced release date. :))

Needless to say, my order for volume one is in.

And Neil, thanks for the coupon code. :D

Regards,

Joe

Christopher D

Second Unit
This board costs me so much money. And of course, I go over and order *before* I get to the post with the coupon code....

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Oh and I still haven't received an email, so I am glad that between here and jmsnews that I heard of it going live.

Mike Monti

Stunt Coordinator
Man, what time did you place your order? I thought I got in there rather quickly.

10/30/2005 5:15:48 AM

But apparantly I was soundly beaten.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Well finally received some mail from them, one about going live, one about an extension on the special, and unfortunately one about being unable to authorized the credit card. Then I remembered why I haven't bought from Cafe Press before, they have transaction issues. A card I use fine with Amazon, Paypal/Ebay, Blizzard/World of Warcraft, can't be processed with Cafe Press, weird stuff.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Woot, sorted. Hopefully don't have to jump through hoops for each purchase.

So anyone got theirs yet?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I think the price is excessive. According to Cafe Press' pricing structure, a book like this one has a base cost of about $20.00, so full price is approximately 100% profit. I think they'd sell a lot more if they priced them lower.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Considering a single script generally sells for $20 with no additional content, it's a good price. These books will have 5 scripts plus "bonus features". In addition, they aren't being sold in retail outlets and presumably will only be available for a limited amount of time anyway. So if JMS makes $10-20 per book sold, I don't see that as much of a problem.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The price depends on your perspective. A collectible individual script sells for $20 or so. When they were available from the B5 Fan Club, I think that was the price. I think the two-hour episodes such as The Gathering was $30.

On the other hand there are books of many scripts that sell for that price or less. Just look at the Buffy the Vampire script books. Season 3, Volume 1 has 6 scripts for $15 list price ($10.19 at Amazon).

The big attraction that JMS appears to be adding is some of the extra stuff he is providing. When the books actually start arriving we'll see just how nice a package it is and then we can evaluate whether they are really worth it or not.

Neil

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Over at the B5 usenet newsgroup there are multiple reports of the arrival of book one. UPS finally says mine is in transit. Apparently it is shipping out of Oakland, CA.

Neil

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
shoot. I still haven't received any word that mine has been shipped outside of the initial recognition of the order from the web site.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks