Babylon-5 packaging

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blu, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

For a season boxed set this is just about the best packaging I've seen!
    It is book style in a nice slipcase.
    I wish my X-Files sets would have come like this!

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Wooo thought this was going to be another person complaining about the pictures of the box :)

I totally agree. I like the packaging a lot.

Capt

3. Keith Helms

Keith Helms Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to have to take a contrary position here. The hard plastic "pages" are easy to damage, like CD jewel boxes are. The corner of one page got broke off in shipping on my copy. The hubs are also flimsy and don't grip well, so one of my discs was rattling around loose in the case when I got it.

I do like being able to pull a disc out without unfolding 3 or 4 sides to get to it.

4. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I've inspected the snugness of the hubs and find that the discs fit very snuggly and do not come out with some effort.
    I suspect this is the same on many different type of packaging. I have some cases where the hubs are very loose and some where it seems that I nearly have to break the disc to get them out of the package.
    The B5 set I have they fit very nicely.

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I picked up my set and when I opened it up there were two loose disks . (3 and 5) They were scratched so badly that they would not play. The store was very good about exchanging them but we decided to check the new set before I left the store. The next one also had #3 out and scratched, and the next, and the next , but it had different ones loose. It took four box sets before I got 1 good set.
    Either the packaging is a little loose or the local store got careless handling them. While I don't care for some of the super tight center hubs I can always loosen them up . I'm glad I bought the set locally. This would have been a nightmare online order.

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I also had 2 and 4 loose, with 4 very badly damaged. When I set them back in the holder, they held well. I suspect a problem with the packing machinery "missing" the hubs. Will be working on an exchange soon. This seems to be a fairly widespread problem as I've seen several reports about it on the web. At least I was able to sample most of the episodes in the past couple of days. I know of a couple of fans who got two copies of 1 disc and none of another (even though all the discs were properly labelled) and one poor guy in the U.K. who bought the R2 set and got no discs, and no booklet - just an empty case. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Joe

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Assuming none of my discs are damaged or contain any errors like those described by Joe, I rather like the packaging. While the TNG box sets look really cool, it is a bigger hassle to unfold that box than to just turn the "pages" of the B5 set. I also appreciate the fact that it's relatively small.