What's new

Babylon 5 Newbie's What's the Verdict? (1 Viewer)

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I second the recommendation of SG-1.

I started watching it about 3 months ago on SciFi channel. On Monday they run 4 repeats back to back (7-11 EST). They have been going through seasons 1-4. I would suggest watching a few episodes to see if you like it.

I was pleasantly suprised at the series. I like the humor, characters, backstory, archaelogy/mythology angles and the acting is good enough.

I have purchased seasons 1-3 on DVD. As it is, the boxed sets can be picked up for less than 50 on the net.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Ressurecting an old thread...

Just finished S4 of B5-probably my favorite of the series so far. There were a few slower episodes in the middle, but a great finish. I understand that originally the series finale was supposed to be at the end of S4, so when they found out there would be fifth season, they wrote Deconstruction of Falling Stars. Personally, I feel that this episode could have been a great series finale as well. The only things that wouldn't really be resolved are Ivanova's future and the possible war between telepaths and regulars, which I assume will come to pass in some form in S5.

Very glad I bought this series blind. I am a huge sci-fi fan, but I am also a very tough sell on sci-fi-most of what I've seen on Tv looked pretty weak. But B5 delivers to those who invest the time. I suspect I will appreciate S1 more the next time I go through the series. Can't wait to see S5...

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
After a half hour of searching, I can't find where this should be discussed, so it's going here.l I give up.
Anyway, I'm one of those who dismissed this show several times while it aired as one of those "funny hair" shows. I had zero interest in watching it when it aired. I've occasionally seen Joe's posts just reading through the forum. I finally bought the series based primarily on that (but also because I'm a little more primed to accept funny hair SciFi series after watching Farscape. Even after purchasing the series, it's been sitting in my "watch" pile for quite some time (obviously).
While watching Season 1, I had a lot of issues with the show. A lot of what I thought I wouldn't like reared its head. The acting was very wooden to me at times. The SFX were amateurish (the rendering looks like something out of a game from that time period). I remembered thinking a few times, "Is Joe sure this show is so good? Maybe he watched it while high." I can't really say what episode grabbed me as I was intent on watching even if I didn't like it. If I hadn't made that decision going in, I probably would have stopped soon after starting. Some of the low budget aspects of it you just have to get past and accept.
OK, so I finished Season 1, then Season 2. I'm in Season 3 now and just finished watching War Without End, Parts 1 & 2. Yowza. Wow. The series could end right there and I'd call it a success. It's the weekend and I have time for another episode, but I think I'm going to call it a day and let that one percolate for a bit. This is really just a public note to Joe to thank him for sharing his passion for the show with those of us here at the HTF. It's been quite a ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks