What's new

Babylon 5 DVD (1 Viewer)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Joe, I just saw that there. I got all excited and then the link didn't work :frowning:
Hope it's true. I hope they do season boxsets for around $100 or less, but I'd even buy singles if I had to as long as they weren't to expensive.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Question, guys:
I have a bud who's wanting to wait to get the season box sets of B5, and won't buy "best of" discs. Something I can sypmathize with!
He's only caught the show off-and-on, because of work (but, hey! He's caught it less than me; I never could get into the show).
So the question is: If the season sets DO come out (and the last couple of posts indicate a "yes" answer), then will the stories on the current B5 disc be included in the box sets, or are they unique TV-movies that will need to be bought IN ADDITION to the series.
I told him I think it's like the Twin Peaks pilot, that you have to buy it separately from the Season Box Sets. Am I right?
PS - Brian E, I love your new animated GIF signature pic. Tell me, what tools do you guys use to make animated GIFs? I've never played with it before, even though I'm handy with graphics tools in other respects. Any suggestions? Hopefully freeware? ;)
Thanks,

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
David, the disc that was released contains two movies. The first movie was the pilot (The Gathering), the second came later in the series and basically provided more background info (In The Beginning). I don't think it would be a big deal if these weren't in the box sets because of how they fit in the series, although its probably best to wait a few seasons before watching In The Beginning.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
While nobody knows anything for sure yet, I would be astonished if Warner Home Video included any of the TV movies in the season boxed sets. They all related to the events of the series, obviously, but they were all designed as stand-alone movies and that's how they always aired prior to the show's moving to Sci-Fi. (The network re-edited The Gathering into a two-part episode and faux letterboxed it, because there are a couple of plot points in it that important to the series proper. But that was Sci-Fi, not Warner Bros.)

So no, I would not expect these movies to appear in any of the boxed sets. (Although, as I noted above, they may be re-issued as SEs somewhere down the line. But that's six months or a year from now, and I think it is well worth $15 or $20 bucks to enjoy the first disc now. I had no trouble buying the first release of The Princess Bride, knowing that an SE was in the works, because I didn't own the film on home video at all and I watched it several times while waiting for the SE.)

As for waiting to watch ItB - you pays your money and you takes your choice. There are good arguments on both sides. See the JMS quote in my earlier post for the "go ahead, watch it first" side of the debate, then advise your friend as you think best.

Regards,

Joe

TimSniffin

Stunt Coordinator
In regards to packaging the movies in the box sets, I agree with Joe. The only one of the five (including the pilot) that is set during series continuity is Thirdspace which was set about mid-fourth season, according to JMS. River of Souls takes place shortly after the series proper ended (not counting Sleeping in Light) and In the Beginning was set years before. A Call to Arms--set years after River of Souls--was the transition movie for Crusade, and I've always felt that it goes with that series more than B5. The Gathering, because of its status and purpose as the pilot for the series, could be made part of the set, but because of its different characters and altered plot threads (see: Laurel), it's always felt different from the actual series.

Brian E

Screenwriter
PS - Brian E, I love your new animated GIF signature pic. Tell me, what tools do you guys use to make animated GIFs? I've never played with it before, even though I'm handy with graphics tools in other respects. Any suggestions? Hopefully freeware?
Thanks. For this one I used Jasc Animation Shop 3 (It comes with Paint Shop Pro). I also use Microsoft Gif Animator (A beta program I don't think ever got released) and Adobe Image Ready (comes with Photoshop).

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
To add to the speculation about the seasons on DVD, its worth noting that just before Christmas (i.e. shortly after the R1 disc was released) all bar a few of the VHS tapes turned up cheap in the UK discount book/video chain The Works. At 75p (a little over a dollar) an episode, I grabbed a bunch of them, but rather irritatingly there is one tape a season missing in the releases (presumably to ensure that everyone will eventually need the new DVDs).

Graham Perks

Second Unit
I can't wait for the DVDs either.

I just saw Thirdspace. That was awful!!!! A whole movie for a plot that would have made the most lame B5 episode ever. grrr. What a waste of time. I'm halfway through River of Souls now; much better although so far it appears to be heading towards a manhunt. The holo-brothel is very wonderful indeed, please can it become a regular on Legend of the Rangers?

Finally caught some episodes of the Drakh Plague show (my mind is drawing a blank on the name!) and I must say that I really enjoyed them all. Although the music was rather unsuitable in places.

Legend of the Rangers; I liked it, looking forward to more.

LOTR. Lord Of The Rings, or Legend of the Rangers? "We stand on the bridge and no one may pass"?? Oh please! Is this homage or ripoff? The intent is homage I hope.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
LOTR. Lord Of The Rings, or Legend of the Rangers? "We stand on the bridge and no one may pass"?? Oh please! Is this homage or ripoff? The intent is homage I hope.
People are only noticing this now because of the scene in The Fellowship of the Ring?

Wow. The whole Ranger "mantra" was spoken by Marcus in a 3rd season episode that aired for the first time (in the US) on October 7, 1996.

JMS has certainly read The Lord of the Rings and has made other references to it (Elric saying "Do not try the patience of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger" is a paraphrase of Gandalf). So it's certainly not inteaded as a rip-off.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
"We stand on the bridge and no one may pass"?? Oh please! Is this homage or ripoff?
That is a reference (in both Tolkein and B5) to at least two heroic "stands" on bridges
1) That of Horatius in ancient Rome, who single-handedly held the last bridge into the city against a barbarian force until other would weaken the supports and collapse it. (Horatius survived by diving into the Tiber and swimming to the Roman shore.) This incident may be history or legend, but it is certainly well known and often cited in literature. (And elsewhere. In Blue Thunder a reporter says, "This may be the biggest story since Horatius at the bridge" - a reference that must have gone over the heads of 90% of the people in the theater. :))
2) The second one I'm less clear on, though I suspect it was Tolkein's primary inspiration (since he had a great interest in Scandanavia and the Viking settlement of northern England.) In 1066, just prior to William the Conqueror's landing at Hastings, England was invaded by the Norman's Norse cousins. King Harald had to move a force north to intercept them. In the course of the battle there was another instance of a single warrior holding off an entire enemy force by himself on a narrow bridge. (But I can't for the life of me remember which side he was fighting for.) His fate was rather less pleasant, as an enemy soldier was able to wade out under the bridge undetected and shove a spear up through the slats of the bridge, stabbing the heroic fighter in the groin. (Ouch!) He collapsed and was swiftly killed.
Regards,
Joe

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know when LOTR will rerun? A friend was taping it, and I set his VCR improperly (it's been a while since I muddied with one).

Brian E

Screenwriter
tvguide.com doesn't list it in the next 2 weeks. I'm sure they'll rerun it sometime soon.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Another LOTR "homage" in B5:
B5:
Sheridan sacrificing himself on Z'Ha'Dum by jumping into a pit, only to be revived much stronger

LOTR:
Gandalf sacrificing himself on the bridge of Khazad-dûm, falling into darkness, to reappear later as Gandalf The White
Vincent

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Joe
See? even Gandalf new better than to die stupidly for the One. He tried to escape, just like Martel. Except he didn't make it (sorta)

:D

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Isn't it great? A discussion with nothing but spoiler space. All the anti-spoiler people might as well just ignore this thread.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Joe:
:) Lol!
Of course, the same could be said for Sheridan, at the end. Maybe there's more of a connection than I thought. :)
Regards,
Joe

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
Joe,

I only got to watch Legend once, but did they make any mention of the disease that the Crusade crew were trying to solve? I did not hear any mention of it.

Do you think JMS will make some mention of it or just let the whole story line drop like it never happened?

Andy

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
The Legend of the Rangers movie takes place before Crusade and the Drakh plague.

I'll let Joe D. get more specific with the timeline if you need more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks