Babylon 5 DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yves Lafleur, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Yves Lafleur

Yves Lafleur Auditioning

I would like have your comemnt about babylon 5 in DVD, the quality was good or not?
    It's a good choice buy this DVD for fan of babylon 5?
    Thank's
    Freindly Yves Lafleur, charlesbourg, qc Canada
    e-mail: [email protected]

2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Well, on the one hand it hardly looks like Moulin Rouge. On the other, it looks rather better than the laserdiscs, and far better than the VHS did. Its as good as its probably ever going to look, so buy it!

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Besides, it's possible Warner will use the sale of the DVD to gauge interest in the series on DVD, so more sales can't hurt.

Of course, you and I know how silly that is since not everyone who wants the series in season boxes care as much about these movies, but still.

I just watched them yesterday and they look pretty good to me.

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

It's been a while since I watched it, but I don't remember any problems with it.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

6. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

7. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

9. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Maybe Warner HV will have a change of managment and do a Disney Home Video about face with their attitudes to home DVD! Here's Hoping!

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Blu: yeah, here's hoping!
    (But, like my Ma always told me, "...and if your Grandmother had balls, she'd be your Grandfather"!) [​IMG]

11. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

with Joseph around I know I don't have remind people about my deliberately pointed chat question [​IMG]

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Nigel:
    [​IMG]
    The way they answered that question really sticks in my craw (though I hide it well, don't you think? [​IMG]) It just showed how clueless they are when it comes to the power and reach of the internet, and what contempt they have for our intelligence. Also, I like to remind people how utterly disingenuous WHV was at every opportunity - to make sure they take everything the company says, especially in a live chat, with a grain of salt. (The fact that Finnegan himself was at the Warner end of the chat, and said nothing, makes me doubly mad.)
    If they would someday like to be treated with the same respect that studios like Fox and Paramount are treated they can earn that respect just like they did - by making a serious effort to improve their product and by dealing with us honestly and treating us with respect.
    Regards,
    Joe

13. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Very true Joseph! Warner has to come a long way before AND has to have some MAJOR attitude changes before they should be considered a serious player in home video.

14. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

15. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

OT: Just a reminder for those interested. B5 Legend of the Rangers will be on Sci-Fi tonight.

16. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    At 9 PM ET/PT. Check local listings for the time in your area. [​IMG]
    BTW, I saw a rumor somewhere that Warner Home Video might actually (*gasp*) advertise the DVD during the course of the movie. So don't leave during the commercials. [​IMG] (Or else tape the thing, as I plan to. [​IMG])
    Regards,
    Joe

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I'm no brilliant businessman by any stretch of the imagination, but it just seems like good business to be behind a product. If you're going to sell something, then really sell it. You can't just muck around with, shrug your shoulders, and then complain when it fails.

Warner has to treat Babylon 5 as if it's one of the greatest shows of all time (of course, it really is).

The DVD looks fine, about as I expected. The main reason to buy it is quite simply because it's the only Babylon 5 DVD out there. It is frustrating, though. It seems like their attitude is, "Here, take this and shut up. Be happy with what you got."

I don't think I'm wrong in saying that there's a big market for B5 DVDs if they do it right. Perhaps, one day, if the episodes sell well, they'll re-release The Gathering and In the Beginning with extras and surround sound mixes.

If it were up to me, I'd have season box sets of all the episodes, with the movies included in the box sets. The Gathering belongs in season 1, Thirdspace belongs in season 4, and River of Souls belongs in season 5. A Call To Arms and In the Beginning take place outside of the timeline of Babylon 5, so those two should be on the same DVD. In the Beginning is a major spoiler if you haven't seen the first 3 seasons. These two movies should be seen after watching the episodes.

But then again, it's not up to me, so I'll shut up now.

18. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

My TiVo is Paitently waiting for Ledgend to come on tonight. My wife actually said 'Make sure you tape that for me' before she left for Minnesota this weekend.

For her to say that about any SciFi Show (her other one she watches is Farscape) floored me. She is not a sci-fi person at all, but she loved Babylon 5 and thought the series finale was the best TV Show she'd seen in a long time.

High praise from her.

19. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Mike B:
    In fairness to WHV (given their totally addled mind-set, and the fact that they still put the failure of the VHS tapes down to lack of interest) their first DVD release wasn't totally mishandled. While I agree that they should have advertised it at least in Sci-Fi specialty publications and on SF websites (where ad rates are dirt cheap), I wouldn't have expected to see a big push for this release. The disc has two TV movies that never drew a huge audience (by TV standards) and which are several years old. It isn't like WHV does a ton of advertising for catalog theatrical releases, either.
    Basically they're trying to find out if there's really a big enough audience to make the show profitable. The fact is, if it sells well without advertising, just based on fan word-of-mouth, then they can be sure of making money on the episodes. OTOH, if it tanks they've save money on promoting it. Since they more than half expected it to tank, what they did made sense. (From their warped point of view. [​IMG]) Then there's the fact that when Amazon.com offered it for pre-order before they were supposed to, the disc shot up to #11 on the Amzon.com sales rank. That probably told them the disc would sell reasonably well without promotion, so why spend the money. (You have to remember, Amazon listed the disc around 11 PM Eastern on a Saturday night. Yet with no announcement whatsoever - that would come almost a month later - the disc was in the top fifty by Sunday, and the top twenty by Monday - all based solely on word spreading via the internet.)
    I have to disagree with you on the movies. I think they should be released on their own discs (with extras) not as part of the season sets. As for ItB, here's what JMS had to say on the subject:

20. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Antony F, the editor of the B5: Legend of the Rangers fan site, says he has received confidential information that B5 has sold well enough that Warner Bros. is indeed going to release the episodes on DVD. No technical details available at this time. So far I'm treating this as a rumor, but I know that Antony does have very good sources close to the production of the new TV movie, so this could be legit. Unfortunately they're having server problems over there (you can't access the news story) and it is about 7:30 in the morning where Antony is, so it will probably be awhile before I can follow up on this.
    Regards,
    Joe