Babylon 5 DVD sales and possible revival

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Andy_Bu, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/43...html?fromint=1

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    If those cost are correct, the studio would have taken in around 12 million from the sales of 350,000 (approx. 60% of srp). Figure a manufacturing cost of at least $10 per set (probably more) to subtract another 4 million for a net of $8 million. Subtract another big chunk for marketing and payments to the actors/creative crew, and you're looking at maybe $5 million left over. Since those episodes cost 19 million to produce, they'd lose 14 million per season by his reasoning (since the show didn't sell enough ads to cover its cost, either).

Maybe he didn't really think his comments through. [​IMG]

3. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

5. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

6. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    While every release is different, obviously, most contracts with performers and key creative people (creator, producer, writers, etc.) specify that they will also get paid a certain amount if the show is released on video/DVD. There might also be payments due to a production company if the show was produced independently. And the video distributor must also be paid a fee (unless they are also the producer of the show).

I'm guessing at the packaging cost, because I've never seen the discs and have no idea how elaborate or simple the packaging is. I've heard that disc replication is around 75 cents - $1 per disc now.

My point was that I think he was being very simplistic regarding the profit potential for the show in that interview.

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Jerry Doyle has been campaigning for the resurrection of B5 since it ended, probably because the job is steady and relatively easy and he likes the people involved. He is stubbornly refusing to accept that B5 was always meant to be a 5 year show, that's it.

I may be the biggest B5 fan on the board and I don't want any more episodes. The show is perfect as it is- one aspect of its brilliance is that it's not overdone.

8. Lars_J

Lars_J Stunt Coordinator

I Agree - Just let the show go. I'm a huge B5 fan, but I realize that Jerry & the other actors are just looking for a steady paycheck. (Understandable, of course)

Perhaps the people involved could create a new SF show instead. They wouldn't have the B5 name to sell, but they could still get a lot of mileage from syaing "from the people who made B5" or something like that. Just do something original.

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I am waiting for Season 1 to arrive, perhaps I should wait until all 5 are released and watch them in one go

[​IMG]

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I agree also. B5's storyline was a closed one, It's over and should be left alone. Now there was a side story called crusade that unfortunately was killed off that the other actors could have become involved with. Well they came out with Legend of the Rangers which also failed that said the crusade storyline was resolved, so there's no point of revisiting that. There could be further storis in the B5 universe but I still think B5 is fine as it is. Let's move on.

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Just a note: there are major B5 spoilers in that interview, particularly on the 4th page. [​IMG]

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

This article stirred up some questions for JMS, who basically said that this is just idle talk, and that as far as he knows, no serious B5 talk is going on. Also, from his comments and attitudes, I doubt that he would make another B5 with the same people. I think he also sees the story as done, minus maybe some cameos from some people on a new B5-related series.

13. Lloyd White

Lloyd White Stunt Coordinator

Good to see some actual sales. Not sure why this stuff is such a big secret.

14. Gene S

Gene S Agent

I would like to see some 2nd and 3rd season sales figures. I would imagine they would have gone up. I remember a couple converts on the board here.

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

16. Tim_Prasuhn

Tim_Prasuhn Stunt Coordinator

I partially agree with the above comments. The Babylon 5 story is over, at least when dealing with the station. However, the character's stories are not over. We have twenty years before John Sheridan dies, and passes beyond the rim,
    , and all of the other main characters are alive at that point as well.

The best way to continue the character's stories would be a few 2 hour TV movies (or theatrical films, but i'm dreaming). It's not a new series with the SAME people, so it's not overkill. Do maybe four of these movies over a two year period. Thats about 6.5 hours of material (minus commercials). Satisfied?

While I'm at it, one of these films NEEDS to be about Lyta Alexander returning, and the whole telepath war she mentioned. Of all the stories waiting in the wings of the B5 universe, this one could be the most interesting.

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Don't get me wrong, I would certainly watch them. I just don't think they're particularly necessary.

We know what happens to all the characters and how. Besides, I personally never thought the movies were that good, except for In the Beginning.

B5 was best served up in 44 minute chunks.

I guess I just feel about the way I do a really good movie: sequels don't need to be made to appreciate it more.

18. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I also like the Crusade Introduction A Call to Arms. But Thirdspace and River of Souls Lacked.

19. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Guess that pretty much ends this discussion.

Speakin' o' DVD sales...anyone know when seasons 4 & 5 are coming out? [​IMG] [​IMG]