Babylon 5 DVD Review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mat_R, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Mat_R

Mat_R Extra

Babylon 5: The Gathering/In the Beginning DVD has been reviewed at the Australian site www.dvd.net.au
    Australia is getting an NTSC disk (Why Warners???), thus this review should also cover the R1 disk. Unfortunatley video quality doesn't look that promising...
    HybridMATRiX

2. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

oh well. At least it's not as bad as the Batman disc. [​IMG]

3. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

Everything in the review sounds on par to what I expected. Warner had no plans for any sort of extras and the source material is quite limiting for transfer purposes (especially The Gathering where some the original negatives suffered from water and rat damage). As long as Warner didn't overcompress the MPEG files (which wasn't really mentioned in this review) in order to put both movies on the disk, I will be pleased with this.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Babylon 5 on DVD!
    Purchase "In The Beginning/The Gathering" on December 4th.

4. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Did you say RAT damage? As in small-to-mid sized rodents with bare tails and a sometimes nasty attitude? How in god’s name did rats get into a film archive vault?
    Let me guess, the negatives are being stored on a shelf in a back room or garage, with no respect for them, or the talent and work that went into them. Thirty years down the road, someone will remember this series, go to do a retrospective, or something, and the negatives will have been reduced to blobs of goo, at least those that had not been eaten by rats. Paramount and Desilu will be seen as gods with the near pampering treatment Star Trek’s film stock has received (TOS-wise. Some elements of the films are in poor condition, I have heard, someone please correct me if I am wrong).
    You would think that with the lessons learned from the loss of so much early film footage modern archival methods would be a little better and more stringent. That being said, you would cry if you heard stories about Canada's National Archival library and how badly important historical documents are being treated/mistreated.
    ------------------
    "Dear Diary, My teen angst bullshit now has a body count" - Veronica Sawyer
    Lance Nichols
    The Nichols Collection, now showing.

5. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

The gathering is shown on sci-fi and the picture is excellent so i dont see why it would be bad on DVD. Ill wait till a region 1 review comes out. I mean dvd's all over the world always have something different with them
    capt

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

7. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

quote: Simple answer: They didn't. They didn't have to because the materials weren't in a "film archive vault" for many years. They were just in an ordinary warehouse. Hollywood learns very little from history, which is why so much early television has been lost, just as so much early film was (and is still being lost.) It costs money today to properly store and preserve this stuff, for a possible future benefit, and the studios just have a hard time seeing a reason to do it[/quote]
    Sounds like SO many things these days. We all know that it costs money to properly archive these, and other materials, but you would think with the money involved in producing this material they would want to keep it well. Like you mentioned, the era of constant re-issues, syndication, DVD remastering, and upcoming HDTV offers a way to recoup/earn more off the costs of these titles. I have never had the opportunity to tour an film archive facility, but I have always pictured them as being large, climatically controlled, low light, sealed facilities. Much like a proper document (paper) archive center is. Has anyone ever toured one of these sites, or works in one? Just curious.
    Oh, I am probably preaching to the choir when I say this is totally shortsighted.
    ------------------
    "Dear Diary, My teen angst bullshit now has a body count" - Veronica Sawyer
    Lance Nichols
    The Nichols Collection, now showing.
    [Edited last by Lance Nichols on November 12, 2001 at 11:02 AM]