What's new

Babylon 5 DVD question (1 Viewer)

Jimmy M

Second Unit
OK, I have gotten the "Gathering / In The Beginning" DVD and I have a question on it.

But first some facts.

We know that the Babylon 5 series is supposed to be in widescreen, with the exception of "The Gathering" which was shot 4:3. This has been stated virtualy everywhere.

The back of the packaging states that "The Gathering" is "Standard version...presented in a format preserving the aspect ratio of its original television exhibition."

So why, when you put the disc in, does it say that it "has been altered from its original format. It has been formatted to fit your screen?"

Jimmy!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I hadn't watched The Gathering yet, but popped it in after reading your post. How strange! I can't think of any reason, other than a mistake, as too why they would have put the message before The Gathering.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I'm fairly sure its a mistake - this has been done before on other discs where the original aspect ratio was 1.37:1 (Academy Ratio).

Well I can't be exact, since I don't have a copy, but I believe that the version of The Gathering on DVD, is the revised version shown when B5 moved to TNT and not the original version. That would explain the notice, I hope :)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The Gathering on DVD is JMS's 1998 "producer's cut", which originally aired on TNT. But they didn't change the aspect ratio (it started as 1.33:1 and it still is.) They re-edited the thing, they didn't reshoot it. :)
Maybe someone at WB is just being incredibly anal about aspect ratios after the Wonka fiasco, and is afraid they'll get blasted for showing something technically shot at 1.37:1 as 1.33:1. :rolleyes:
Regards,
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks