What's new

Babylon 5 DVD news from Usenet (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
No, it isn't an announcement from JMS or a press release from Warner Home Video. Officially, they're still not talking. But somebody else might have let the cat at least partially out of the bag.
Cynthia Delmar of the National Captioning Institute posted a request on the mod. Here's part of it:
I work for the company doing the closed-captioning of Babylon 5 for DVD release. We are reformatting the captions from the original files, which were mostly done without scripts. We have the first six episodes here already (I'll be doing 1 & 2 myself tomorrow) but alas, still no scripts...
... Anyway, does anyone have suggestions as to where the best, most authentic sites would be for verifying things like spellings of names/places etc? Someone who might have had access to those scripts and would therefore have it for-sure right? I'd REALLY like us to get this stuff right.
Thanks,
Cynthia Delmar, Senior Caption Editor
National Captioning Institute
Burbank, CA
Naturally, I offered to proof-read the captions personally, all they have to do is send me each disc as they finish it, but somehow I don't think they'll go for it.
If this is a legit post*, it sounds like things are proceeding apace. :)
Regards,
Joe
* And it does seem to be. Her e-mail address is in the correct format and goes to the NCI domain.
P.S.
I just got an e-mail from Ms. Delmar in answer to some information I sent her. She indicates that the first two episodes will be completed and on their way back to Warner Bros. on Monday. I have to think that captioning is one of the last things they do on a DVD, so I'm starting to get a good feeling about this.
Joe

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Of course my only questions are how soon and will they be in season boxsets? I'm on pins and needles waiting for an official announcement!

Ric

This is good... this is very good...

After the SciFi channel got my appitite more wet with their Babylon 5 movie marathon now this news... Gonna have to pull out my The Gathering/In The Beginning DVD again and watch them another time.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I think there are a lot of B5 fans out there who would be more then happy to help them get the captions right :)

Rob T

Screenwriter
the following was posted early this morning on the rastb5m newsgroup:
The jollies I'm getting right now is that it looks like DVD is for real....
Yeah, it's real...I was holding off saying anything until WB or someone else
could announce it, but since it's come up here via the captioning
institute...yeah, as noted, it's real.
Season One will be out in a boxed set this Fall, and they're going to be
including at minimum two commentaries from me, probably on Signs and Portents
and Chrysalis (it's a matter of how much time and energy I can give to it given
that there's no fees involved and I'm in the midst of Jeremiah), and if
possible, Babylon Squared, maybe Sky Full of Stars. They'd also like to film
an on-camera intro by me (but I guess folks will buy it anyway, even with that
particular horror included).
They're pulling together a lot of stuff on this release so that there are
plenty of extras this time around, now that the value of the DVDs has been
shown by the first release
jms
I hope Warner Bros. puts out a press release soon saying when in the fall it'll be released. :)

socrates maroudis

Auditioning
I hope this happens. I have been watching Babylon 5 for years and I still haven't seen all the episodes. If they do release it on DVD, I hope they do all 5 seasons. It definitely deserves better treatment than it has been getting.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Happy Happy, Joy, Joy!
I say JMS drops everything and just works on those commentaries!

Ric

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
In case anyone missed the other thread, JMS confirmed this news today:
), and if possible, "Babylon Squared", maybe "...And the Sky Full of Stars". They'd also like to film an on-camera intro by me (but I guess folks will buy it anyway, even with that particular horror included).
They're pulling together a lot of stuff on this release so that there are plenty of extras this time around, now that the value of the DVDs has been shown by the first release.
jms
([email protected])
(all message content (c) 2002 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas)
I'm very happy right now. :D
Regards,
Joe

Sarah S

Second Unit
Fall looks like a very expensive time this year, but I'm definitely getting these if I have to go & sell plasma!!! (last resort of course :))

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
The only other thing in that announcement that makes me happy is that he said he will be working on Jeremiah. Well i know they finished filming season 1, so if hes still working on it later this year that means its coming back for a second season.

I cant wait for Season 1 of B5. ZATHRASSSSSSSSSS

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Sarah, why would you want to go seell such a nice TV? If you sell your Plasma TV what are you going to watch B5 on? :)
I am excited by this news as well. It has been a very long time in coming. However, what with me transporting a truck cross country, and all these wonderful discs coming out this fall, I am going to be beggared.
sigh, the burdens we have to carry.
Edited for really bad spelling mistakes. (needed more coffee this AM).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well i know they finished filming season 1
They finished shooting the live action, but post production on the last batch of episodes will keep him occupied for a couple of months. Crusade stopped shooting in January or February of 1999, but Babylonian was still doing FX, music and other post work in April.
I don't think Showtime has made a firm decision on Jeremiah S2 yet.
Regards,
Joe

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
ME WANT NOW!!!!
Truly great news about a truly underappreciated series. B5 was better in its prime than anything Paramount ever put out.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks