What's new

Babylon 5 coming to blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It could be a good thing that it is being rolled out digitally before it is released on blu-ray. That way, just maybe some glitches can be fixed before the physical release.
Based on the current track record of BR releases from Warner Entertainment I'm not holding my breath on that...

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Based on the current track record of BR releases from Warner Entertainment I'm not holding my breath on that...
True if they release this it will be exactly the same as what is on HBOmax just as The Flintstones and Wonder Woman were. For me no Widescreen no sale.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I spun a few minutes of a couple of episodes just to visit the original aspect ratio. Even on my 4K tv, everything looked so much better than the wide screen DVDs. Even the effects sequences look much better. And seeing the original credit font again is really nice. The opening credit clips at the start look pretty lossy, though.

Man, these effects have dated. Not quite as badly as SeaQuest, but early CGI looks worse today than old 60's SFX. I'd love to see this series get a legit upgrade. I'd but an original aspect ratio release in a heartbeat.

Faber

Agent
Real Name
Josh
That would be what we got.
Jim Carrey Ok GIF

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I’ve started another rewatch since this came on HBO Max, probably my 5th I love this series. I’ve always this to come out in OAR which is what we are getting, it looks so much better than the cropped versions. If Warner does indeed put these on Blu ray I hope they don’t put them cropped again.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I’ve started another rewatch since this came on HBO Max, probably my 5th I love this series. I’ve always this to come out in OAR which is what we are getting, it looks so much better than the cropped versions. If Warner does indeed put these on Blu ray I hope they don’t put them cropped again.
If/when the blu-rays come out, they will almost certainly be the versions on HBO MAX. And they are coming - they're already listed on some Euro retailers sites, as seen earlier in this thread.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Wow, ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY DOLLARS for all 5 seasons on iTunes??? You've got to be kidding me. Sorry, but there's absolutely no way I'd pay that much money for B5, even though I love the series.
Not sure where you got that price. The HD versions only became available in the last week, and there‘s only been one set of prices for it, $29.99 per season, or $69.99 for complete series.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not sure where you got that price. The HD versions only became available in the last week, and there‘s only been one set of prices for it, $29.99 per season, or $69.99 for complete series.

That was the total for all five individual seasons via the TV app on macOS when I posted. There was no bundle (that I could find) at the time. Obviously, things have now changed.

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
"The studio was reluctant to talk about the listings for a “Remastered” version of the show that popped up on Amazon and iTunes late last year. The apparent error tipped off the fan community that something was in the works. The studio also declined to comment about if this would lead to a Blu-ray release, although given the show’s release on HBO Max, that seems pretty unlikely."

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Does anyone know why the episodes are in a different order? I'm only in seasons one, but this season's episode order don't match the way it aired or is on the DVD sets, nor the way it was listed on the Lurker's Guide.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Does anyone know why the episodes are in a different order? I'm only in seasons one, but this season's episode order don't match the way it aired or is on the DVD sets, nor the way it was listed on the Lurker's Guide.

Absolutely no clue whatsoever. And the original broadcast-ordering (found on the DVDs) still works perfectly fine for this series. Why somebody at HBO Max would choose to resequence the episodes in this way is utterly baffling.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I haven't looked the show up on HBO Max yet, but I see no reason why the order should differ. There's absolutely nothing in the original broadcast order that caused any continuity issues or spoilers for later episodes.

The only thing that I would say is problematic in terms of order is if someone were to watch In the Beginning first because it's chronologically first in terms of story. And that's only because it spoils a revelation made in a third season episode regarding the end of the Earth-Minbar War.

And JMS never issued any kind of "preferred order" like he did with Crusade (with that preferred order being rather baffling, to be honest). Not that Warner would have listened to him if he did. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks