What's new

Babylon 5 coming to blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Needless to say that, studio politics aside (WB apparently has a longstanding grudge with JMS), there is no way we will ever see a B5 reunion movie.

Who's left? Boxleitner, Mumy, Jurasik, Christian and Tallman? Am I missing anyone?
Well,

Andrea Thompson,
Jason Carter,
Tracy Scoggins,

and frequent visitor
Walter Koenig

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The crazy thing is, you come to expect this happening with, say, a 60s show like the original Star Trek (with four of the eight principal actors gone), but not with a 90s show like Babylon 5.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The crazy thing is, you come to expect this happening with, say, a 60s show like the original Star Trek (with four of the eight principal actors gone), but not with a 90s show like Babylon 5.
That's why it's so tragic. All of the B5 cast died far too young.

Faber

Agent
Real Name
Josh
Not that there isn't a tiny bit of overlap (Bester).
Well,

Andrea Thompson,
Jason Carter,
Tracy Scoggins,

and frequent visitor
Walter Koenig
Also:
Robert Rusler (Keffer)
Robin Atkin Downes (Byron)
Ed Wasser (Morden)
Julie Caitlin Brown (Na'Toth #1)
Mary Kay Adams (Na'Toth #2)
John Vickery (Neroon)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I would say that a blu-ray release is likely (not "unlikely" as the story says), since Warner almost always issues physical releases shortly after a digital debut. (Wonder Woman 84 is already due in March, after a December premiere.)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I guess they did use the film outs. It actually looks good (except for the digitals which still look better)!

FTR The Gathering is the TNT edit and cropped to 16:9. Its also 2.0 and upscaled, Midnight on the Firing Line is true HD and 5.1.

EDIT -- The early version of the season 2 intro with Pre-Chrysalis Device Delenn is INTACT!!!

EDIT 2 -- the cold opening to Hour of the Wolf is strangely missing.

EDIT 3 -- Sources at r/Babylon5 are reporting Babylon Squared is missing two scenes.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Not that there isn't a tiny bit of overlap (Bester).

Also:
Robert Rusler (Keffer)
Robin Atkin Downes (Byron)
Ed Wasser (Morden)
Julie Caitlin Brown (Na'Toth #1)
Mary Kay Adams (Na'Toth #2)
John Vickery (Neroon)
Well, remember that a lot of the surviving recurring cast were playing characters who were killed off. Remember Byron?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Disapointing that they did not offer Babylon 5 in widescreen. I will stick with the DVD's. After seeing it in Widescreen I can't watch it 1.33 anymore. This was an epic series and the space battles look so much better in widescreen.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Disapointing that they did not offer Babylon 5 in widescreen. I will stick with the DVD's. After seeing it in Widescreen I can't watch it 1.33 anymore. This was an epic series and the space battles look so much better in widescreen.

But all those SFX were out of proportion (horizontally stretched) when in widescreen.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
But all those SFX were out of proportion (horizontally stretched) when in widescreen.
When I watched the DVDs in 480p when they originally came out I thought they looked bad. I just recently rewatched them for the 1st upconverted to 1080 on a 70" LED TV and thought they looked much better nowhere near as bad as I remembered, in fact it was pretty good and the live action scenes looked excellent. I did not notice any stretching so its subtle.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
When I watched the DVDs in 480p when they originally came out I thought they looked bad. I just recently rewatched them for the 1st upconverted to 1080 on a 70" LED TV and thought they looked much better nowhere near as bad as I remembered, in fact it was pretty good and the live action scenes looked excellent. I did not notice any stretching so its subtle.
It wasn't stretched, but zoomed in to make the 4:3 image fill a 16:9 frame. It generally looked OK on the pure effects shots but suffered with the composite shots involving live actors, often bringing in framing issues due to the zoom.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
FTR The Gathering is the TNT edit and cropped to 16:9. Its also 2.0 and upscaled, Midnight on the Firing Line is true HD and 5.1.

Not at all surprised re: "The Gathering". I think pretty much everyone wants to forget the original aired cut exists.

As far as I know, the only home video release for that version was on VHS and LD in Japan (I have the LD).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Not at all surprised re: "The Gathering". I think pretty much everyone wants to forget the original aired cut exists.

As far as I know, the only home video release for that version was on VHS and LD in Japan (I have the LD).
Oddly enough the original broadcast cut was what was on Amazon two years ago.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So besides the first episode, you guys think this looks good?

looks barely watchable to me.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Oddly enough the original broadcast cut was what was on Amazon two years ago.

Verrryyy interestink....

I remember checking out some B5 eps on Prime back then, but the pilot wasn't one of them. I went straight to the "Messages from Earth" / "Point of No Return" / "Severed Dreams" trilogy. I wasn't happy with the PQ, so I didn't check out any others.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Sooooo I'm thinking "Babylon 5: The Complete Epic 2243-2281" might be a great set if Warner elects to go the extra mile and do it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It could be a good thing that it is being rolled out digitally before it is released on blu-ray. That way, just maybe some glitches can be fixed before the physical release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks