What's new

Babylon (2022)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Title: Babylon (2022)

Tagline: A tale of outsized ambition and outrageous excess.

Genre: Drama, History

Director: Damien Chazelle

Cast: Diego Calva, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Jean Smart, Jovan Adepo, Li Jun Li, Tobey Maguire, Katherine Waterston, Max Minghella, Samara Weaving, Spike Jonze, Olivia Wilde, Flea, Lukas Haas, Rory Scovel, Eric Roberts, P.J. Byrne, Damon Gupton, Phoebe Tonkin, Chloe Fineman, Jeff Garlin, Troy Metcalf, Jonah Platt, Todd Giebenhain, Sean O'Bryan, Bob Clendenin, Rhian Rees, Karolina Szymczak, James Crittenden, Bregje Heinen, Yakov Kolontarov, Raelynn Harper, Cyrus Hobbi

Release: 2022-12-25

Runtime: 185

Plot: Set in Hollywood during the transition from silent films to talkies, focusing on a mixture of historical and fictional characters.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What is this about? The trailer doesn't do a very well job of introducing this movie.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
What is this about? The trailer doesn't do a very well job of introducing this movie.

It appears to be a picture about the early days of making films with sound. I think it looks like fun and will see it, in whatever way I can see it because these days that is the issue. Can I see it in a theater, streaming, or on a disc?

Looks like it will be about poorly behaved filmmakers in a time when you could be a poorly behaved filmmaker and it was not an issue.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The trailer doesn't do a very well job of introducing this movie.
You're right, but this is also the first trailer. The movie won't come out until Christmas in limited release (probably NY/LA) and January in wide release. There will almost certainly be additional marketing as we get closer to the release dates.

This trailer just has to announce the movie and get people's attention. A second one closer to the time it is actually going to come out can go into more specifics about the plot.

I am a fan of Damien Chazelle. I loved Whiplash and La La Land and liked First Man. So I'll see almost anything he wants to make (unless he makes a horror movie.) I'm not sure what to make of this one just yet, but it certainly has my attention.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Can I see it in a theater, streaming, or on a disc?
This is going to be a theatrical release first.

In select theaters (which means limited release) on December 25. Everywhere (meaning a wide release) January 6. It's right there in the end of the trailer.

Of course, streaming and disc releases will follow in due course.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As many times as I see the trailer, my brain says I should like this...but I just can't generate any enthusiasm. It's a lot of great actors and the Brad Pitt falling scene always make me laugh.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
A big budget film for adults getting a theatrical release. I am hopeful because if many more of these fail they will disappear from theatres completely.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
For some reason, I decided to get a ticket for Babylon on December 29. None of the trailers have actually grabbed me, but that's not abnormal. I figure I need to give this one a shot. It won't be the worst thing I've seen this year if I don't like it. And if I do end up liking it, bonus for me.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
For some reason, I decided to get a ticket for Babylon on December 29. None of the trailers have actually grabbed me, but that's not abnormal. I figure I need to give this one a shot. It won't be the worst thing I've seen this year if I don't like it. And if I do end up liking it, bonus for me.

Looks great to me, kind of surprised it will be in theaters. It's 185 minutes long and supposedly loaded with nudity. The polar opposite of what theaters want, long and for adults.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Looks great to me, kind of surprised it will be in theaters. It's 185 minutes long and supposedly loaded with nudity. The polar opposite of what theaters want, long and for adults.

Three hours long and nudity (probably of a kind I'm not interested in) are not selling points for me.

Babylon is likely to crash and burn just like a lot of other adult drams have this year.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Three hours long and nudity (probably of a kind I'm not interested in) are not selling points for me.

Babylon is likely to crash and burn just like a lot of other adult drams have this year.

Yeah, I know that this is not the type of picture that people will turn up at the cinema for anymore. It is however, the kind of picture that interests me. So, I will try to see it in a theater. I just have to find one somewhere near me that is showing it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks