Baby monitors

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ari, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I are having our first baby soon and are starting to outfit the baby's room. One of the things we're sorting out right now is a baby monitor. I'd like to be able to send audio and video to both a TV and the PC. I like the TV option for home monitoring and the PC option for when either my wife and I are out. I've looked at Smarthome and it seems like the cameras can only do one or the other. Have any of you come across something that can do both simultaneously?

I have my house wired for ethernet (CAT5 in all rooms) since 802.11 doesn't work well (cement walls with lots of rebar) but 2.4Ghz works pretty well. If I go with two separate systems, it seems like I'll have to go with wired for the PC system and 2.4Ghz wireless for the TV system.

For the PC system, I'm looking at the Veo Observer and for the TV system the PalmWatch . Any comments?

2. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

No offense but I think you're going overboard. What can you really tell from video? Get one of these for real peace of mind:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=baby&n=507846

It has a plate that goes under the crib mattress and it can sense the movement of your child's breathing. If it senses no movement for 20 seconds, then an alarm sounds. We get false alarms because our 1 month old can now wiggle enough to get to the mattress edge so the plate can't sense her. To me, that just confirms that the thing is working. We used it for our 2.5 year old too and I think it should be mandatory equipment for all parents.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I think you could just buy one for PC and then run an s-video out from the video card to a TV. If you're PC doesn't have s-video out then just pick up another video card. You could find a decent one with what you need for around $50 unless you're looking to play games and such as well.

4. Mark Fontana

Mark Fontana Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    As the father of a two year old, I agree with Denward that video is overkill... I'd say skip the video, go with the motion monitoring system or just a good audio monitor, and put the extra money into the child's 529 plan.

5. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Werd that you have problem with 802.11 and not with the 2.4Ghz video since they both use the same 2.4Ghz band.

Anyway... I have two sets of audio montiors. one that I can pack around with me and 1 set that has to be pluged in. Both work well and since Im not in front of my TV/computer the video is just over kill.

You could also get a capture card for your pc and use the 2.4Ghz wireless camera and capture the signal into the pc.

My best advice is to nap when the baby is naping.... you will need it [​IMG] thus not needing the video. put the $$$ you save into a play structure fund for when they get bigger... I cant keep the kid off of it. Play Structure

Congrats and good luck [​IMG]

6. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I should have explained that the video monitoring isn't really to monitor the baby since either one of us or the nanny will be with the baby at all times. I guess it's more for making sure that the nanny is doing her job. And since there may be times that both my wife and I are out of the house without the baby, it would be nice to have remote monitoring as well.

I will definitely take a look at the crib motion sensor. How long will it be useful for a typical baby?

7. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

OFF TOPIC, PLEASE IGNORE IF YOU ARE SO INCLINED:

I find it remarkable that generations of children grew up safely without video monitors, motion sensors, and all the other "James Bond kinda stuff" that parents won't do without today.

I was at a friend's house last night, and there was a child lock on the refrigerator. Somehow, my sister and I managed to grow up without accidentally trapping ourselves in the fridge.

They also had child locks on the back seats of the car. So when riding in the back, I had to wait for someone to open the door for me. Imagine if they ever get in an accident -- the parents are unconscious, the children not. The kids would be POWERLESS to escape from the burning vehicle. Is the number of lives saved by this device greater than the number of lives lost?

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Rob,

While I see what you're saying, and agree with you to a point, this guy is mostly wanting to monitor the nanny and/or babysitters. Sure, lots of generations have survived without this, but many generations also survived without ever locking houses or cars and leaving keys in the ignition all the time, etc. While most of your points are very valid, I would still consider putting in monitors to keep an eye on a nanny or babysitter for the safety of my baby and for the safety of my stuff.

Additionally, while I do agree with you about all the new precautions, what if your kid was the one kid who stuck a fork in an electrical socket because you didn't have it covered or if he/she died from SIDS which possibly could have been prevented by a motion monitor. The chances are slim, but if your kid was one of the few who was affected you'd probably have a very different outlook and possibly a great feeling of guilt for not doing everything possible to prevent the situation.

9. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Ari & everyone,

If you would like me to start a new thread on this topic (to prevent this thread from going too off-topic) just say the word and I'll remove my posts here. No hijacking is intended.

Seth,

What bothers me is the false sense of security. A generation ago, when hi-tech devices to prevent against every threat to a child's safety, real or imagined (I'd still like to know what the fridge lock is for) didn't exist, my parents had to exercise responsibility and rely on common sense. i.e. putting objects that could hurt us out of reach. They also had to teach US responsibility and common sense. I can't imagine I ever had the desire to release my seatbelt, unlock the car door, and OPEN the car door while it was in motion. I was too young to remember now, but I'm sure that by the time I had the capability to do such a thing, I had already been taught not to.

I'm just naturally suspicious about items that are meant to protect us from ourselves. Gadgets are no substitute for responsibility and common sense.

10. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Rob,
    The arguments that today's safety "nazis" have gone overboard has some merit. But you have to remember that you're able to make the argument only because you survived. There are many children's lives who would have been saved if car seats had always been around. Many children have suffered the effects of lead poisoning because no one knew about the effects of paint dust or gasoline. Children have opened up car doors in moving cars. To blanketly blame these parents for not having taught their children to avoid accidents is naive.

This is a much more unlikely situation than the kid just opening the door while the car is moving or just sitting in the parking lot while you're loading groceries or other kids. The kids are strapped in car seats anyway. If they are able to get out of the seat, then they should be able to climb to the front and get out that way.

11. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Just to get this thread back on topic:Do a little research, but I think SIDS risk typically ends at about 6 months old. We kept using it until the false alarms became too frequent due to the baby rolling into the corner or standing up along the rails (about 8 or 9 months, IIRC). The frequent false alarms definitely occur after SIDS risk is past. There's no harm in just leaving it there until you're tired of it.

12. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Ari, hey, I'm with you man. But I will say that I am also with Rob.

I don't give a damn if there's a nanny or not there is no overkill (really) when it comes to concern for your child. Only time I'm contradictory when it comes to this is when you stop letting your kid be a kid. For example..my girl always wants to protect our kids from being kids. Don't want to let them get hurt in ANY kind of way. And I disagree with that, kids are going to be kids, there gonna get bumps, bruises, and scrapes. Their gonna fall, chit happens.

But severe injury, I will try to prevent. My kids are 5yrs old and 15 months old, and have the entire top floor of our house. I want exactly what Ari wants. Because they are pretty far out of reach, and I'd like to know there are not hanging out of the window or some off the wall chit like that. Because my kids are pretty wild to be their age. Totally fearless little dare devils, and what's worst is they are GIRLS!! A monitor would give a little piece of mind at least.

13. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    You can buy a SVHS-Cat5 converter, and run a video camera over your in-house wiring. We use the converter a church for our video runs, and it works great. We got them at Smarthome.

14. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I think that the age group that we're talking about here is unable to learn responsibility or common sense. That route won't work right now with my 14 month old (who can be a little unreasonable at times). That said, I agree in general that many parents wait too long to start teaching this.