Baby, It's You? (rare John Sayles film)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vickie_M, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I remember seeing this when it first came out, and liking it, but I haven't seen it since. I noticed that it's coming up on HBO the 29th (only one showing from what I can tell) and I'm wondering if I should set my Tivo for it. I suppose I will anyway, but recommendations will get me to watch it. (I'm all the time recording stuff then not watching it, then having to delete it for space)

I really like John Sayles, but wasn't this his first foray into "Hollywood"? I vaguely remember some rights issues concerning the music. That's it as far as my memory of it goes. And that Rosanna Arquette is in it.

2. Chris_Richard

Chris_Richard Supporting Actor

I would say record it. I love Sayles and actually own this on Laser. The movie is one of the better coming-of-age films from the early 80s.

This is Sayles only studio picture, it soured him on the whole process that he has never gone back. Yet the final product doesn't show any signe of internal problems. The performances by Arquette and Vincent Spano are some of the best they've ever done and the screenplay, by Sayles, is quite good.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I say record it as well. Chris is right - it's a darn good movie. And who knows when it'll hit DVD? Speaking of DVDs, where are Lianna, The Return of the Secaucus Seven, City of Hope, and Men With Guns?

4. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

It's my favorite among the John Sayles movies I've seen, although Lone Star is excellent. Maybe I ought to subscribe to HBO for a month.

I saw Baby, It's You in its theatrical release and the person I was dating made the comment walking out of the theater "I'm so glad it had a happy ending and they were finally going to be together". When I pointed out that, in my opinion, they'd never see each other again after that last dance she found that very disturbing.
    Apparently, she thought that made me a fundamentally cynical person. I thought it was obvious.

So am I remembering the movie wrong? Or was my date just wearing rose-colored glasses.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I believe you're right (but it's been over a decade since I've seen this film.

I thought it was on DVD, but I'm probably wrong about that.

6. Jack Fanning

Jack Fanning Second Unit

Jack Fanning
    Plus all the cool old Springsteen songs that JS always uses in his films...It's so hard to be a Saint in the City!

7. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Great movie, definitely on my top 10 "should be on DVD right now" list. Why isn't it on DVD??? I've seen Baby, It's You two or three times, but there hasn't been a Sayles retrospective in a local movie theater in quite some time...

Probably Rosanna Arquette's best part ever.

Ted

8. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Thanks for the recommendation guys! I've set my Tivo to get it and will definitely watch it. I'm sure I would have anyway, since I love all the other Sayles films I've seen, but it's nice to have the extra push.