What's new

baby dies after contracting herpes from mohel (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I realize every religion has certain practices that others don't quite understand, but that "method" just does not sit well with me.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
As far as disturbing images go, that of a man drawing blood from a baby's penis with his mouth is definitely high up there.

--
H

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
A perfect example where 'cultural difference' doesn't jibe with me. Somethings, even the most revered traditions, can be universally perplexing if not outright wrong.

Another would be female castration, executed at the hands of the father.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
That is the traditional method; in fact, many Orthodox Jews don't feel that a bris milah is valid unless blood is drawn from the wound this way, though some allow the use of a pump or syringe [which frequently creates dangerous blood loss]. It is precisely the fact that circumcision is a dangerous procedure [performed typically without consent of the patient at least], with many adverse consequences and no medical benefits, that makes it so uncommon in the world outside the U.S.; and the feeling has been growing even among Jews and other groups who traditionally practice it that circumcision is inappropriate, particularly since the end of the XIX [ :b ] century when American epidemiologists first discovered that the high rate of infant mortality among Jewish boys was due in large part to infection with tuberculosis, syphilis, and other pathogens by diseased mohels.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

How do we know what infections will occur from circumcision 900 years from now?

On a serious note, circumcision is safe if done properly in the 21st century and the wound is kept clean from infection. I don't think that the majority of Orthodox Jews require this traditional method anymore since it is not part of the halacha (Jewish law) for the brit milah procedure. Newer, safer methods have been developed over time.

Also, for Jews, a circumcision is not optional, so I don't think calling it "inapproporiate" is appropriate.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member

Is it? In my corner of the world, virtually everyone is circumcised, including me. Not that you wanted to know that. I grew up thinking it was the norm.

--
H

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
No Holadem, America is in the minority (20% is often quoted) when you compare it's circumcised males to the rest of the world.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
So that's why they call it hanging out in the hood.

Seriously though, I too find the tradition to be questionable, especially the risk of serious infection from orally drawing blood from the wound.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Approximately 3% of all circumcisions result in severe complications, including urethral displacement, gangrene of the penis, and death. 55% of all circumcisions result in meatal stenosis, which impairs urinary function. 100% of all circumcisions result in some loss of sexual function -- a fact used as an argument in favour of the practice by its biggest promoters in the last century, as a solution to the purported evils of juvenile masturbation and sexual excess among the working classes.

Not to get into a religious discussion, but references to circumcision in Jewish law and practice are mostly post-Exilic in date according to the best scholarship. Even religious Jews sometimes reject the practice today, citing the Divinely created integrity of man and the prohibition of ritual mutilation; it was a Reform rabbi I was quoting, who said that circumcision was "as inappropriate as the segregation of women". Circumcision among Moslem peoples, though commonly said to be an Islamic ritual, is not at all Qur'anic, being in fact a tribal custom [certain Hadiths, sayings of the Prophet lacking the force of revelation are typically quoted in support of it].

DonnyD

Screenwriter
That is one sick guy, regardless of the situation...... I can't imagine parents who would even consider this type of practice......

Is this guy gonna be prosecuted?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know it's an old tradition, but remember when Doctors used to drill holes in peoples skulls to "release the evil spirits"? You know why they don't do it anymore? They realized that it was WRONG and stopped doing it!

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Break out the leeches

whats old becomes new again. :D Leeches are back in used very selectivly specific to case.

Users who are viewing this thread