Baby Boomer Shows - If not now, then never!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark To, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

As someone who was born at the peak of the baby boom, in 1957, it just occured to me that this whole studio schedule of releasing current shows now and then going into the back catalogue is a flawed logic. So many of these great shows (Man from UNCLE, Invaders, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, etc) mostly appeal to the baby boomers. Well as the years pass and we get older, there goes the market. The youngest boomers born in 1947 are now in their late 50s. Ten years from now when they are on Social Security I don't think they'll be buying DVDs. So the whole thought process of eventually we'll get to it just doesn't work. "Getting to it" when the audience for "it" is either dead or too old to be bothered is assinine. 5 years from now the market won't have changed for all of this 80s crap like A-Team and Miami Vice. But it will change for the older shows. Hard to market to the deceased and infirm.

2. Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh Stunt Coordinator

I was born in 1957, too, and my older brother was born in 1947. He tends to borrow DVDs from me all the time. But he borrows new stuff - even though I collect the older material, he's not interested in watching those shows again. He's not interested in anything more than a passing glance at the old stuff.

I think for a lot of our generation, the '80s is exactly what people want to see. That era was when we were at our peak. I know most of my friends are waiting for releases of a lot of Cannell's shows from the '80s. Magnum PI and Miami Vice are also high on their lists. (So is Real Ghostbusters and other cartoons from the same decade.)

Now me ... I collect it all. There are some shows from the '50s and '60s I'd love to have. Ditto the '70s. But I'm not going to reject the shows of the '80s while I'm waiting. And there are quite a few shows that are relatively current that I'm happy to add to my library.

3. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I agree with Mark, being in my 40s now myself. I feel this problem also applies to movies in addition to the television shows... everyone says, "wait and they'll get to it," but the core middle-aged target audiences need them NOW.

However, I'm not so sure that pointing this out to the studio heads is such a wise move. They already are dragging their feet with a lot of older material; if we tell them "the baby boomer audience will die off if you wait too long," this only gives them even MORE excuses to avoid catering to us ("oh, they'll be dead? Well, in that case, who really has to bother?" !

4. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

How many ways can this same thread idea be revived, rewritten and reposted? Calling shows that you don't like "crap" hardly seems to be a way to win any of their fans (people who want those shows badly, too) over to an oft-repeated argument.

Nothing seems to be good enough. To pick one studio, Universal--since that's the one being picked on as releasing '80s "crap"--along with releases such as Miami Vice and the A-Team are coming The Munsters, Leave It to Beaver and Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

So who exactly is the studio ignoring again?

5. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Glad about the release of THE MUNSTERS; I wanted that show forever! Sadly, so did two of my friends who passed away in 2002 (one was 49, the other 50).

Oh well, Universal -- better late than never - I think...

6. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

I gotta agree with Randy as I was thinking the same thing. We get that you like all older shows and thats cool if you feel that way but do need to rant about it every couple of days or so.

Mark I really hope that you get the shows your looking for one day though.

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I think the fact that Universal is releasing older shows now instead of waiting for HD-DVD or VOD is a step in the right direction. I suggest you buy these shows.

I was born in the 80s, and will eventually pick up Leave it to Beaver, Alfred Hitchcock (which I will proudly display next to "Alf"), and the Munsters.

The reason older shows aren't as popular with the younger generation is because they are rarely shown anymore. Even the 70s and 80s shows are being phased out because local stations want more sensational, original programming, and if they can't get that they show infomercials.

This same argument will occur 20 years from now, just replace "Father Knows Best" (on the Columbia poll, BTW) with "The Cosby Show."

8. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

With life expectancies going up and social security being in the shakey state that it is, baby boomers aren't going to be able to retire anytime soon so they have plenty of time to buy these DVDs.

So... Good News! ;->

Paul

9. CherylWI

CherylWI Stunt Coordinator

Too bad dvd was not invented in the 80's. We would have had all our favorite shows by now.

10. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I also agree with Randy. I read in one of these other threads the justification for the frequent mentioning of this stuff as this is the best way for the studios to know that we're serious. Accpet the fact is that all these threads are started by 1 person and typically the replies on both sides come from the same select few people, so that just goes to show how small of an interest this really can be. Multiple thread topics isn't going to makes studios put things out faster, or else Mary Tyler Moore would have its complete run on DVD by now, because for awhile you couldn't turn around without seeing a new thread on that one.

As for the idea that releasing new shows now is a flawed logic idea, no its not. New shows have the audience that are my age (early 20's) plus the baby boomers and all areas in between since its not like all the baby boomers turned off their TV's in 1983 and haven't watched anything since then. On the other hand some of these shows that Mark mentioned I have never heard of let alone seen, and I'm not the only one. The studios can't ignore the 18-34 demographic, and unless its a show like the Munsters which was quite the hit in reruns, then it is really hard for people born after these shows left the air to have seen them. So the newer stuff is seen by a larger audience of people across all demographics while that is not always the case for some of the older shows hense the newer stuff gets released first because it has a bigger market.

11. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

As I'm sure many people can attest to, you form far more of an attachment to most things like music, TV shows, etc. when you are growing up, not when you are in your 20s or 30s. I am a big fan of TV and I've always tried to sample most new series but I can tell you that A) I watched far, far more new TV when I was a kid than as an adult. For one thing, where else was I going to go at night? As an adult I am usually out and if it weren't for VCRs I would have seen almost nothing in prime time in the 80s and 90s. B) Most friends my age watch virtually no new shows on a regular basis even though I try to turn them on to things I think are worthwhile and C) Shows were so much better written in the 50s and 60s than they are now. As for audience size, a show that was a failure 30-40 years ago drew about 20 million viewers which is more than the number one show draws now. More people watched the shows at the bottom of the ratings than watch the top rated shows today. That's fine that the newer stuff and still seen older stuff gets released first. The more they do that, the less of a market the other shows have, the less chance there is to make a cent of of them. Hey, its not my problem, I'm not the one owning these things that are losing whatever value they have by the day. Its a matter of diminishing returns. Yeah, certain lesser known series wouldn't sell a million copies but whatever they would sell gets lessened by the year.

12. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

For those who don't feel that the present is right time to strike with the release of 50's, 60's material, I shudder to think what the market will look like 5 years from now. The studios will be flogging nothing but box sets of "Survivor", "Big Brother", "Forever Eden: The Lost Episodes", "Seriously Dude...I'm Gay", "When Good Pets Go Bad" etc.

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

To be honest, I don't think so. In the end, the reality stuff is going to be as forgettable as most TV shows. I can't really see someone who would watch Survivor more than once.

I can understand those who worry that the market for older shows may go down as the years go on, but I don't know if it is a real concern for one fact: There are few TV shows that deserve a DVD release. The success rate for TV shows seem to be pretty low, which means that they will run low of new attractive material on DVD.

It is also where writing the studios come in. If you keep bringing their attention to it, maybe it will appear in the pipeline.

All of this takes time. There is only so much material you can put out there, and the studio needs to look at what is cost effective for their resources.

There is plenty of stuff I'd like to see on DVD, but my world isn't going to end if I don't see it. More than likely, tho, it will probably happen.

Jason

14. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Uh, Jeff, they're already doing that. No need to wait 5 years.

Amen. Just because they read HTF doesn't mean what we says becomes true. Especially if it's just the exact same couple of people endlessly repeating themselves. Old TV isn't getting any respect. We get it. "But--". No, really, we get it. It's ridiculous to start and rehash this thread on a weekly basis.

15. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I wonder about the reality shows though, as far as how well they're doing or will do on DVD. I've heard that one problem with these types of shows is that they really aren't rewatchable, and that they won't sindicate well. So, I wonder how successful that style will be on DVD as compared to sitcoms and dramas that hold up better and have proven rewatchability. I don't watch reality shows myself, so I really don't know...and if I did, I doubt I'd find one I'd want to see again after finding out the ending.

16. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

And RIGHT there is were the post went from a position I agreed with to a the deranged ravings of a madman. 80's crap indeed.

I pity the fool who calls the A-Team crap.

17. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

No offense intended. I like my share of crap too. Hey, Aaron Spelling has been churning out popular garbage for generations now. I want my Mod Squads, an awful show if there ever was one and dated even when it was new. Likewise all of the Irwin Allen shows. One man's crap is another man's treasure even if they are both bad. It's all what you grow up with. I'm just selfish in that I want MY CRAP! But I'll shut up now and stop starting these threads. I'll let Joe or Carlos do it from now on.[​IMG]

18. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Fair enough. We all want OUR stuff and we all want it NOW!

Oh, and for the record - I'd love to get my hands on some of the old school TV shows of the 50's too. The Public Domain sets that I've picked up have been the Bomb, and I'd love to see more of them. Great shows at an awsome price - how can you go wrong with that?

19. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Don't feel pressured into stopping your threads if you feel a need to do them, Mark. The same voices over and over again for the great shows of yesteryear are better than no voices at all.

Shows of today don't really need any vocal support; they'll most likely come out with no questions asked, since they're current... even if most people in their early 20s who want them can watch them on TV right now....

20. Hal D

Hal D Extra

I want many shows from the golden age of tv(the 1950's & some from the 1960's). To be honest, I'll bet many baby boomers don't watch any reality shows as they are total crap. I would rather watch old episodes of Password on cable than watch Survivor or any of these other moronic shows thay put on now. These shows are not family friendly. I'm not preaching, but I'd rather my kid watch Leave It To Beaver than Who Wants To Marry A millionaire? or whatever it's called. Watching other people make fools of themselves is not my idea of entertainment. Look! 2 girls are hoping this guy will pick them! Wow! I'm stuck to the chair for that one! Replace all of today's crap TV with old 50's reruns and watch the ratings improve more(I hope).