Babes in Toyland (Drew Barrymore)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Clinard, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I just bought this on half.com. Does anyone else remember this TV movie from the 80's. I must have watched this 50 times as a kid. It's one we recorded on tape. I haven't bought a tape in years, but this one cost me less than a rental would have at BlockBuster, so I bought it.

I would like to see this on DVD. I am thinking Orion still has the rights, or did they sell thier library?

2. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Yes, Orion did sell their library, to MGM, so now it is MGM that owns the video rights.

I wouldn't count on the Barrymore "Babes In Toyland" to come out on DVD anytime soon.

Personally, I didn't like the film at all. It was too bloated, Barrymore's singing voice was dubbed, and even at the re-edited 92-minute international theatrical edit it's still a mess.

3. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    It's been about 10 years since I have seen this, but I remember liking it as a child. I may not like it anymore. But if I don't, it only cost me a little over 3 bucks, so it's not too bad. I can always give it to someone.

If they sold thier library to MGM, we will probably never see it.

4. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Let's not forget Keanu Reeves and...

C-I-N-C-I-N-N-A-T-I, Cincinnati,

The Best Town in O-H-I-O, Ohio, USA!

At first it was Cincinncy, but Cincinncy was so natty!

They named it Cincinnati so they say!

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Stunt Coordinator

I watched this all the time as a kid. I still watch it around the holidays. [​IMG]
    I got my VHS from McDonald's. It was like 3 bucks with a Happy Meal or something waybackwhen.
    I'd also love to see the Disney version with Annette Funicello. That one got even more play in my VCR.

6. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    After watching this again after so many years, I must say that Barnaby was not as scary. The songs weren't quite as catchy as I remember them either. I guess I would have to say that the movie is still okay, but not as good as I remember it. If it were to come out on DVD, I might buy it, it it were priced right. I'll have to see the Disney version someday, just to compare.

7. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer