What's new

Babar's "Mother" Dies (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
PARIS - Cecile de Brunhoff, the inspiration for Babar, the enchanting little elephant whose adventures captivated generations of children, died Monday of a stroke suffered Saturday. She was 99.

De Brunhoff first invented the tale of a little elephant as a bedtime story for her boys in 1931. They in turn told their father, painter Jean de Brunhoff, who illustrated the story and filled in details, naming the elephant Babar and creating Celeste, Zephir and the "Old Lady," who takes care of young Babar after his mother is killed.

Before "The Story of Babar" was published, Cecile de Brunhoff insisted that her name be removed from the book because she thought her role too minor, according to publishers Harry N. Abrams Inc.

A pianist, she was a graduate of the prestigious Paris music college, the Ecole Normale de Musique.

Jean de Brunhoff died of tuberculosis in 1937 at the age of 37. His eldest son, Laurent, carried on Babar's adventures, completing two books unfinished by his father and eventually devoting himself full-time to Babar, publishing dozens of books of his own.

Cecile de Brunhoff, who was born Oct. 16, 1903, and did not remarry after her husband's death, is survived by her three sons, four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren, said Mathieu. He said the family would hold a private funeral outside of Paris.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Babar! I used to love that little guy when I was little. I see him on TV every once in a while, do kids really care about him these days? I would think he's too timid for today's hyperactive kids. :)

/Mike

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Babar books were my favorite bedtime stories growing up. I must have read Babar's Fair a few hundred times easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks