What's new

Baa Baa Black Sheep Season 1 (aka Black Sheep Squadron) (1 Viewer)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was able to purchase the Season 1 single sided set from WalMart on Black Friday. It was not on sale, I just wanted it on single sided discs. I really enjoyed this show when it aired. I have always been a huge Robert Conrad fan since WWW days. I even enjoyed what I have seen of Hawaiian Eye as well as The D.A. from Jack Webb.

In viewing this, I have noticed many actors that appeared on Magnum, p.i., JAG and many other 70's and 80's series. Simon Oakland and Dana Elcar butting heads, priceless. Aerial photography is uniformly excellent. All of the misfits seems very young to me now. Larry Manetti, John Larroquette, Robert Ginty, Dirk Blocker Jr., James Whitmore Jr.; what a lineup. Such a wonderful early Christmas gift to me being able to relive this series.

Just need to get the final episodes for this one.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
In viewing this, I have noticed many actors that appeared on Magnum, p.i., JAG and many other 70's and 80's series.
I believe this was the first series that Donald Bellisario was a producer on before moving to Battlestar Galactica. It was natural that he would gravitate towards actors he was familiar with when creating his first show, Magnum P.I. Jeff MacKay in particular became a life long personal friend of Bellisario, and was in nearly every show he produced in some capacity.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
A lot of actors from this show also appeared guest shots on "Battlestar Galactica" right after "Black Sheep Squadron" was cancelled, which I think likely indicates their contractual status with Universal at the time. Larry Manetti, Jeff MacKay, James Whitmore, Jr., W.K. Stratton, Red West and Kathy Cannon all appeared on Galactica at least once (multiple times for Manetti and MacKay).

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Glad you got your copy of season one, Doug...Shout's season two is a very good deal...

Pappy Boyington's 1958 book of the same title is a wonderful read, often touching, inspiring and hilarious...his motto, "Show me a hero, and I'll prove he's a bum" is reiterated throughout his memoir...after a somewhat mixed record with Chennault's "Flying Tigers" AVG in S. China, more known for drinking and fighting, ( he claimed 6 kills and the unpaid bounty of $500 per) his wild and undisciplined ways to a point just short of insubordination...he returned to the States, where he learned to be a legendary first rate leader back with the Marines... the "Blacksheep" of VMF 214...in about 6 months of intense and sustained air combat, he was credited with 26 kills, (he claimed 28)...he was taken prisoner in the Solomons in January 1944, during a sweep to Rabaul, outnumbered by about 3 to 1 in a dogfight, where his wingman was shot down and killed also...he was picked up at sea by a Jap submarine, and was shipped to Japan as slave labor for the rest of the war...having no knowledge of his fate, he was presumed to be dead...ironically, he credited his time as a POW with giving him his first crack at beating his alcoholism, and he thought his poverty stricken poor boy's diet as a depression era kid provided him with the endurance and constitution to survive his many ordeals...his wartime experiences humbled him, and despite the many accolades he received post war, and the Congressional Medal of Honor from President Truman, he suffered a great deal with his personal demons, finally finding sobriety at the time he published his memoirs...when the TV series was in production, he would sometimes be on hand at Chino for filming with the Planes of Fame Corsairs...his book went into new printings and he autographed copies at Chino and other airshows...he passed away in 1988 at the age of 75 at Fresno, and was interred at Arlington National Cemetery...quite close to the grave of famed boxer Joe Louis, prompting some who knew Pappy well to say that he "wouldn't have far to go to find a good fight" ha, ha...

Pappy Boyington post war, arrested yet again after another brawl and a good night out...and here caught by a newspaper photographer...the "Blacksheep" yet again...

09c0d1b61bbaef4943290a96cc8d0029.jpg

I like the TV series too, good cast, guest stars and impressive aerial action... and it looks great on DVD...so glad that Shout put out season two and Universal re-released season one on 5 discs...entertaining as it is, (no big surprise), it doesn't represent the reality of war in the SW Pacific...but that's what Pappy's book is for...there is a fine museum dedicated to Pappy Boyington at his hometown of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho...

The real Pappy Boyington appears in three episodes of the TV series...in season one, "The Deadliest Enemy of All, part 2" and "The Fastest Gun"...in season two, "Ten'll Get You Five"...

01bcb2014b327388a55c2d33d52ffb67.jpg

Pappy_Boyington_worldwartwo.filminspector.com_15.jpg

Boyington_MOH.JPEG

the-war-biz-warrior-episode-14-aired-1477-pictured-gregory-pappy-as-picture-id138430515

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I loved that show too and discovered it back then. I always loved the theme music. Too bad the writer killed the character of Hutch.
Anyway, there were many veterans from The Wild Wild West, starting with actor Robert Conrad and his pal stuntman Red West
but also actor Simon Oakland (see "The Night of the Fugitives"), writer Ken Pettus, director of photography Edward R. Plante.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Just need to get the final episodes for this one.

I ordered a couple things recently, including Season 2 that I'd been putting off. When it came I picked up the dvd box and it was rattling around and you could hear plastic bits jangling. The three discs are perfectly fine, but the middle insert holding two of the three discs inside into the packaging was broken and unless I return it, there wasn't anyway to fix it. I hate returning broken packaging when the discs are fine.

But a great thing happened! One of the other things I ordered, that I was going back and forth about, was a single disc, but it was packaged in one of the same kinds of boxes the Black Sheep was, so all I had to do was put that disc in the Black Sheep box, snap in the Black Sheep two disc insert into the middle of the other box, and put the third disc into it, replace the paper inserts and voila! Problem solved and no extra hassle!

Now what are the chances of THAT ever happening! I was very pleased.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I believe this was the first series that Donald Bellisario was a producer on before moving to Battlestar Galactica. It was natural that he would gravitate towards actors he was familiar with when creating his first show, Magnum P.I. Jeff MacKay in particular became a life long personal friend of Bellisario, and was in nearly every show he produced in some capacity.

Jeff MacKay is a regular on the one season Tales of the Gold Monkey that I watch an episode of occasionally. Although, what happened to Stephen Collins can take a bit of enjoyment out of it if one thinks about it too much. I liked that series, but I always thought it could've been better than it actually was.

I was able to purchase the Season 1 single sided set... [...]
In viewing this, I have noticed many actors that appeared on Magnum, p.i., JAG and many other 70's and 80's series. Simon Oakland and Dana Elcar butting heads, priceless. [...]

I noticed Dana Elcar right away from one of my favorite films, The Sting. He has a featured role in it and is pivotal in the finale.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks