BA VRM's and Kef Q's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Nov 14, 2001
    I've got a question for everyone. How do the Boston Acoustics VRM series of speakers, line up with the Kef Q series. I haven't heard the Kefs and would like to know how they are. Anyone here that has listened to both speakers and would like to post your comments, it would be much apperciated.

Nick L
  2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

May 29, 1999
    First, welcome to the forum, and the addiction. Second, your best bet is to listen to both speakers, and decide for yourself, because you will get lots of opinions (I am about to give you my own biased opinion), but in the end use your ears to judge. Take some of your favorite CDs and go listen to each speaker for a few hours. This really is the best way.

That said, I have run Kef Q series setup for several years, and absolutely love it. I have heard the new Q series, and it is even better. For a dual HT - music system, at this price range, I think that the Kefs are one of the best values for the money.

This weekend, I heard the BA, and they sounded ok, if a bit thin in the midrange. The bass was pretty good (tight and well defined). However, it was at the grand opening of an Ultimate Electronics, and conditions were not optimal. All in all, they were not my cup of tea.
  3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    KEF Qs [​IMG]. Damn fine speakers.
    I have not heard any of the recent BAs, so I can't formally comment on them. I love the tweeters in their older stuff, but not crazy about their midrange either.
  4. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Jul 15, 2002

I love the highs on BA speakers. I'd be curious as to which models George and John listened to. The reason being that I was not that impressed with the mid and low range on the VR-M50s or the VR-M80s, but loved them so much on the VR-M60s and VR-M90s that I bought them for rears and mains respectively (I said it was a biased opinion).