B5 Season1 Case = garbage

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Verdieck, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Jan 23, 1999
    While the design is fine, the construction is the definition of sub par.

The hubs used to retain the discs are utterly worthless.

My S1 box arrived today, Canada -> Houston. I have looked forward to this day for years. I had noticed others posting about problems with the discs but crossed my fingers.

Disc 1 is fine. It is the only one. All the other discs have scratches to 1 degree or another. Discs 4 and 5 were loose, and have sustained heavy scratching. Discs 2, 3 and 6 were not loose, but are scratched as well.

I will be returning this set, I have no other option.

What makes this so indefensible is that 1 minute's evaluation of the case would have reached the same conclusion.

When you insert or remove a disc, you can tell by the amount of resistance that the hubs are completely and totally inadequate.

In my 4 years of DVD purchasing, throughout the 600 discs I own, I have not seen a more worthless hub.

Continued use of this design will only lead to more and more returns to your company.

I can only pray that the 2 sets I ordered as gifts for other people arrived intact. But given the inherent shortcomings in the hubs, I would put the odds at 1 in 50.
  2. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

Sep 5, 2000
    Certainly this is the worst design I have ever encountered for keeping the discs in place. Unfortunately, I have received many "floater" disks in the mail in all sorts of case types. While some cases practically make you bend the disk double to get it out, others are so loose they come off and get damaged in shipping. It would be nice if the manufacturers would be willing to spend a few more cents per case to purchase a case that would hold the disk firmly until the user wants to remove it. Somewhere in my collection I recall a case that has a lever arrangement that holds the disk in place and then releases it when a small tab is raised. As long as the case is closed the lever cannot be raised and the disk is held safely in place. This is the only arrangement I've ever seen that addresses both issues. If only . . .
  3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Jul 31, 1997
    Cees Alons
  4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Jun 30, 1997
    Joseph DeMartino