B5 Season 1 Video question

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by KyleC, Jul 13, 2004.

1. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I bought my copy awhile back and just recently started watching it. I noticed the first three episodes have considerable dirt on the print (like a film projector). In Soul Hunter there's even blue lines at some point. I threw in season 3 and watched a few mins of Severed Dreams (I've seen the series before) and it was crystal clear.

So my question is do I have a bad copy or does this clear up at some point?

2. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

The master negatives for the entire run were not stored properly, so there are blemishes here and there throughout all five seasons. The beginning of Season 1 is probably the worst though. It does get better about halfway through, so try to put up with it. I wish that Warner would have spent the time and money doing some Scratchbox-type repairs on these blemishes, but sadly they didn't think that the disks were going to sell as well as they did.

3. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

Ok thanks. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't my copy.

4. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

Heh. Yep, it's the film.

It's funny, when this season first came out, some fanboys were so rabid to have these on DVD that they wouldn't admit the blue lines were present.

It was B5 on DVD, ergo it was perfection.

It's a minor blemish on what is otherwise an outstanding show. As with the disfigured FX scenes, just try to ignore it and enjoy the ride anyway.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

No, some people had their systems calibrated in such a way (and weren't using the "auto" or "film" setting on their front projectors) that they never saw the lines. So it wasn't a matter of not "admitting" anything. Others correctly pointed out that on some setups the blue lines were visible during the original broadcasts and therefore could hardly be blamed on neglect, the widescreen transfer or the DVDs. "Fanboys" my ass.

Regards,

Joe