What's new

B5: Rangers - Letters to the sponsors (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well, the B5 franchise continues to have its usual luck. While Sci-Fi has been happy with the ratings of the B5 reruns, enough to spend over three million bucks on a new TV movie and "back-door pilot", they weren't so sure that the B5 fanbase would be that interested in new adventures in the B5 universe with new characters - that is, absent the "nostalgia factor" for the original.
So for months the unofficial word from Sci-Fi is that they would heavily promote the Rangers movie, but that it would have be one of the top two or three rated TV movies they'd ever done to ensure a series order. The highest-rated of all was Dune with an unheard of (for Sci-Fi) 4.6 rating. The next highest was a pilot for another series (I forget which) which scored a 2.4 or 2.5. So they were basically shooting for a 2.6.
The national ratings came in last week and the TV movie averged a 1.7
Disaster, right?
Well, not quite.
First of all, the trendline for the ratings within the two hours was good. The audience increased every quarter hour, which means people joined the movie late, liked what they saw, and stuck around. (This by itself means nothing, since that is the pattern with most TV movies, and probably most series episodes. But at least the trendline wasn't down, which would indicate that people looked, hated it, and reached for the remote.)
Then the individual market figures started coming in, and the mystery resolved itself. Rangers got buried by the NFL play-off game in markets that got the Sci-Fi Channel east coast feed. (Not surprising - there is a huge overlap in the heavily-male B5 demographic and the football demo.) But in markets that get the west coast feed, the movie did better than expected - a 3.2 among folks watching on Time-Warner Cable in San Diego, a 3.6 in at least one other market. So there was an audience for the movie that night - at least where it wasn't up against a live football game. :)
The problem is that ad rates are based on the national average, and if Sci-Fi sold ads based on a promised minimum rating, they're likely going to have to run free ads for a lot of those sponsors as "make goods." This is apt to color their perceptions of Rangers. In any case it is likely that they're going to need more time than they expected to make a decision on a series. The ratings didn't give them the kind of clear-cut "go"/"no go" signal they were expecting.
Why is this a good thing?
It gives fans some time to act.
In and of themselves, letter-writing campaigns do not get series made or saved. If a show is a ratings disaster a million letters are not going to make a difference. But if a show is borderline they can. If a network is faced with making (or cancelling) one of two shows, and all other factors are equal, the one that gets the big fan response is the likley winner. Provided we're talking about real snail-mail letters that people had to take time to write, print, stuff in an envelope and then pay to send. E-mail and on-line petitions are largely ignored, with all due respect to those who urge them on people. They make the fans feel better. They have virtually no effect on the decision makers.
Some of us are organizing a letter-writing campaign, not only to the Sci-Fi Channel itself but to the companies that advertised during the TV movie. Here's the link. There you'll find hints on writing a letter, a description of the goals of the campaign and the logic of this approach and downloadable data files (in Excel and delimited ASCII formats) containing complete contact information for every national company that ran a commercial during the movie. Either file can be used with a word processor to create a single basic letter and then mail-merge it for multiple recipients.
I urge anyone who would like to see a new B5 universe series to join the campaign. We still have a small window of opportunity to get our message across to the folks who will influence the final decision. This isn't the first time B5 has been on the brink of cancellation or not happening at all. It has always found a way to survive. Let's help it do so again.
Faith manages,
Joe

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Why don't they just re-run it on a non-football night and see what type of ratings they get again?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Why don't they just re-run it on a non-football night and see what type of ratings they get again?

Because that won't really tell them very much. That will be the movie's fourth airing, after three shots that people had to either watch it or tape it. And it isn't going to give them any clue as to how well their huge advertising campaign (which inluded running a trailer in theaters before showings of The Lord of the Rings) did. Those ads all plugged the 9 PM showing on the 19th. They certainly can't afford to run such a campaign all over again.

They can't replicate the conditions of the original "test", so there isn't much point.

Regards,

Joe

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well Honestly what do these boneheads at the networks think? They schedule a expensive highly anticpated show on the same night as a major Playoff football game and they expect steller ratings? This is the same stupid scheduling that gets us: Smallville, Nypd Blue, 24, and the Gaurdian, all inthe same tuesday night timeslot. Gee Sci fi make Rangers into a series and put it on then. Then scratch your heads when the ratings dissapoint.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
They schedule a expensive highly anticpated show on the same night as a major Playoff football game and they expect steller ratings?
They didn't expect "stellar ratings" - they expect better than their usually ratings. (Shows scrape by on Sci-Fi with one or two million people watching them - sometimes less. They were hoping for just under three million. A show with three million viewers on a broadcast network gets cancelled during the first commercial break.)

It is also by no means clear that anyone knew when the film was scheduled that an NFL playoff game would be on that night. (The NFL scheduled was pushed back by September 11th, remember? We don't usually have the Super Bowl in February.) Nor do I know exactly when the league decided to put the game in prime time. That may well have happened after the schedule was locked and that advertising was under way.

Even if they had known about the football game, a look at the ratings for the past few years probably wouldn't have troubled them. Many of the people at home (as opposed to sitting in sports bars) could be expected to want an alternative to the ball game. (I personally didn't care who won, since none of my teams was had a shot at the Super Bowl, and I don't have any emotional attachment to either the Raiders or the Pats. So I did watch the movie.) It was a play-off game, not the Super Bowl (which attracts millions of non-football fans, not to mention millions of football fans who probably hate the two teams that are playing.)

Unfortunately, there was bad weather on the east coast, and people stayed home in droves. Result: the game got the best Nielsen numbers that play-off game has received in five years. Hard to buck odds like that.

Of course the network will take some of this into account. But if they sold ads based on the 2.6 number they were hoping for, they took a hit. And they can't be sure how many of those people who were watching the game would have watched the movie. They can guesstimate from the West Coast numbers, but the fact is different parts of the country do differ, and the smaller west coast feed sample may not be enough for them to get a realistic projection.

That's what makes this one of those very rare instances where letters can actually make a difference. It is impossible to judge the mood at Sci-Fi. They may be looking for reasons not to do a series. They be looking for reasons to do it. Either way, the numbers, such as they are, may not be enough of a guide. If it comes down to a "gut-instinct" decision, letters from fans - and especially positive feeback from advertisers - might be the thing that gives them a reaons to approve the series. Most of the time when a show is cancelled the ratings speak undeniably and all the fan mail in the world isn't going to change anything. (And don't ge me started on e-mail, bulletin board posts and on-line petitions, which are almost wholly ignored. If a show needs at least five million viewers to stay on the air and can't get them, why does anyone think that five thousand - possibly forged - "signatures" on an internet position is change anybody's mind. "Yeah, thanks guys, we know you watch. We just need another 4,995,001 viewers to keep the show on the air.")

But on a close call, letters can tip the balance. Corporate types give a lot of weight to something that took effort to write, perhaps print, stuff into an addressed envelope and which costs the person sending it money. That shows a level of commitment that an e-mail doesn't. Corporations also have a pretty good feel, based on past experience, for how many viewers each piece of mail likely represents - and there are no reliable statistics for e-mail. Hell, I have six or seven unique e-mail accounts myself, most of them free. I could easily have another ten. I could generate 100 unique e-mails in the space of a couple of hours and not involve more than two other people.

That's why I say write letters - and soon. Time is running out.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks