"B5" DVD (and other) news from JMS

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joseph DeMartino, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Hmmm, time to put my current "The Gathering"/"In The Beginning" disc up on EBay. [​IMG]

I don't have cable and therefore never saw an episode of the ill-fated "Crusade". I heard some less than kind things about it. Will this be worth picking up?

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

that is a good thing since I never bought the telemovies.

As a newbie, how do they fit in the overall story ?

cheers

[​IMG]

4. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Is there a proposed release date for Season 5? Seems like we'r e on a 4 month schedule, so I'm assuming May. Just got sucked into the first 3 seasons and can't wait to finish the series!

5. Steve Tack

Steve Tack Agent

6. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Yeah, Joe D...we know you predicted it. You always seem to know what's going on. [​IMG]

I'd say you were really JMS, but having lurked on rastb5m forever, if you really were, you'd be in serious mental duress considering all the conversations you'd be having with yourself. [​IMG]

Nice to see Steve and Jay getting a nod on the DVDs. They really are an important part of the B5 online community.

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks Steve

[​IMG]

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

9. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Steve pretty much summed it up.

The main Bayblon 5 story takes place between January 2258 and December 2262 (with the final episode wrapping the story up in 2281.) Each season corresponds to one calendar year, beginning in January and ending in December. Here's where the movies fall:

In the Beginning - 2240s, the period of the Earth-Minbar War. However the story is told in flashback from the point of view of characters in 2278, so it does contain some spoilers. Many fans recommend not watching this film until after you've seen all of season 4.

The Gathering - There are some internal inconsistancies in the date references given in the film, but the generally accepted date is spring or summer 2257.

Thirdspace. - Summer 2261. Mid season 4, between the episodes "Atonement" and "The Illusion of Truth". The movie wasn't filmed until after production was finished on S4, so there are no direct references to it in the season, and it really does function more as a "stand-alone" movie. JMS has called it his attempt at a Lovecraft story in space.

The River of Souls - Summer 2263, about six months after the events of "Objects at Rest" (521).

The Legend of the Rangers - 2265, probably around mid-year.

A Call to Arms - December 2266. (Internal evidence: they are preparing to celebrate the 5th anniversary of something that happened early in 2262, and the Crusade episode "War Zone", which is set in January 2267, takes place at most weeks, probably days, after the events of this TV movie.)

There's no official release date for S5 - which isn't exactly suprising. Warner Bros. has never announced a date for a B5 set until after the previous set was in stores - usually severla months after. S4 won't be released until January, so expect an announcement about S5 in February or March.

Regards,

Joe

12. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Uh, so any ideas on what the big January announcement will be? I'm glad to hear that there's more DVD on the way!

Ric

13. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

"Crusade" had a lot of potential, and I think they were setting some interesting things up, but the series was most unfortunately scuttled by TNT before it even aired.

As such, the existing episodes don't really do a whole let but set up a few plot points that would've likely been expanded upon later.

The premise of the series was that after the events of the Babylon 5 series, (I'll spoil this just in case, but won't give away a lot from either Crusade or B5) An alien race, called the Drakh (who you will be familiar with in the later seasons of B5) have attacked earth with a biological weapon, a plague. This plague will kill every single living creature on Earth in five years unless a cure is found. The man appointed to find that cure is Captain Matthew Gideon. Gideon is a different kind of commander, a roguish gambler, and someone who doesn't fit into the proper military order. He is joined with a cast of humans and aliens aboard a ship called The Excalibur. Expect to see some familiar faces, and learn more about the Technomages (from S2).

As I said, the series was scuttled after only thirteen episodes were shot -- out of a proposed five-year run.

Considering rumors that a cure for the plague would've been discovered early in the second season, I think we could've expected the series to take off in a radically different direction in the second season, much like B5.

Also worth mentioning that three unproduced scripts were published on the (late) Bookface site. Two were written by JMS -- one of which was the season finale -- and another was written by frequent JMS collaborator Fiona Avery and featured the return of Bester. And it's probably best to not ask about the availability of these scripts -- a few years ago, JMS was pretty emphatic that he did not want people passing them around.

14. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

JMS has clarified the TV-Movie boxset situation a bit.

15. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    I doubt that Sci-Fi needs to be compensated for Legend of the Rangers. They didn't own a piece of the project - which is one of the main reasons that it never went to series, and why the actors' contracts only covered the movie itself, not a potential series. (If Sci-Fi owned a piece of the action they probably would have gone to series despite the decent but unspectacular ratings the movie got for its initial broadcast. If the ratings had been huge they probably would have approved it even without owning a piece of it. But the actual situation - good, but not great ratings, no co-ownership - didn't leave them with reason enough to go on.)

More likely is that their original contract for the broadcast rights has either more time or more airings to run before Warner Bros. can release the movie on home video. (Something like the Buffy syndication situation.) Also, as JMS said, it really isn't thought of as being part of the original series, so there is less pressure to put it out with the rest of the movies right around the time the 5th season set comes out.

Finally there is the possibility that he's being a bit coy and that the new project he's writing (or the other one that is still in the talking stage) somehow involves the Rangers concept and that Warner Bros. wants to hold the earlier pilot film back from next year's set to wait on further developments.

I rather doubt that myself, having my own ideas about what JMS is writing at the moment, but I'll respect his wishes and not speculate publicly.

I can say, because JMS said this when he first mentioned that there were two possible B5-universe projects "in the talking stage", that neither of them is a TV series, nor is either of them a book or other publication. Let us all remember that at various times there have been discussions about further TV movies, a possible mini-series or even a feature film, and that at one point Sierra was working on a B5 computer game for which the original cast shot live action footage. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

16. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I think there would have been alot going on around a particularBox the Captain won in a Poker Game.. a certain "Apocylypse Box" that was a very intriguing setup that would've gone somewhere...

17. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I was lucky enough to catch the whole series during its run on TNT. My wife and I were sucked in like dog hair in a vacuum cleaner. I would love to own these, but WB has priced them far out of my reach. I wonder why they are so expensive compared to other series? They seem to have sold well, so why haven't subsequent seasons come down in price?

18. NeilO

NeilO Producer

In comparison to the Star Trek and X-Files collections, the B5 season collections are quite reasonably priced. In comparison to Alias, Smallville and 24 they are less so. Season set prices are all over the map.

Neil

19. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

Thanks for the news Joe! I look forward to owning all of these DVDs. [​IMG]