What's new

B5 3rd season. (1 Viewer)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
You can enjoy B5 if you start at S3. You will be missing a lot of backstory. If I was going to have to miss 1 season before watching B5, it would be the first.
would have been significantly minimized and that is probably my all time favorite TV moment.

Andy

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Instead, I have to exchange the ENTIRE set and then go back and rewatch all the episodes I've already seen just to make sure those aren't glitchy. Trust me, watching something just to make sure it works isn't a whole lot of fun.
Having just gone through this with Buffy (I went through three boxes), I can certainly understand where you're coming from. I believe the store I bought them at would have allowed me to swap discs and I don't really remember why I didn't go that route, but it was a pain not watching for fun, but out of obligation. But I've never had a B5 problem yet (it help when you can shake the box and listen for loose discs), so hopefully the issue will never come up.

What's killing me is that I'm not finding the time to watch the new set! We recently discovered Buffy so it comes down to watching a new episode of Buffy vs. an episode of B5 we've probably seen 5-10 times already! Since we're in season 3 of Buffy (which is considered by many to be the best season), it's a tough call.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I just took the dive on B5-picked up all 3 seasons plus the Gathering/In The Beginning set. I've actually seen In the Beginning before, so what ever it spoils, I've been spoiled already. Thankfully no floaters. Just have to check disc 4 on Season 2 to make sure it's OK-I saw in another thread that a lot of people got a bad disc 4 in that set-it was labeled disc 4 but was actually another disc 2. Must be my DS9 withdrawal that finally sent me over the edge-2 months until season 5-I needed something to fill the gap!

I think watching a series for the first time this way might be better than seeing it weekly, especially since anticipation for the next episode can sometimes make you like certain episodes less if they aren't momentous.

Can't wait to get started!

Britton

Screenwriter
Just have to check disc 4 on Season 2 to make sure it's OK-I saw in another thread that a lot of people got a bad disc 4 in that set-it was labeled disc 4 but was actually another disc 2.
I may very well be mistaken, but I believe that problem was with the Season 1 set.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Andrew, enjoy watching it all for the first time. Sometimes I wish I could go back and rewatch the show as a newbie.

At the same time, I learn more and see new things everytime I watch it (kinda like watching The Sixth Sense a second time...anyone who has seen it knows what I mean).

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Thanks! I just checked my discs and they were all fine. If I devour these at the rate I've been going through the DS9 sets, I'll have all 3 seasons done before DS9 Season 5....then begins the wait for DS9 seas. 6 & 7 and B5 seas. 4 & 5...

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
For example, if I make my way through a 6 disc set, only to find the last minute on the last disc locks up or has some glitch, Amazon ships me a replacement, I swap out the bad disc, and that's that.
How does this work and how long do you have to report it to Amazon?

Season 3 just arrived yesterday and disc 2 was a floater. There were some slight scratches on it. I tried out the previews for each episode and a few scenes in each episode and didn't notice any problems. That's probably as much of a chance I'll have to check it out for a while.

Thanks,

Neil

Britton

Screenwriter
How does this work and how long do you have to report it to Amazon?
Just go to your account and there should be a link for returns. You click on that and there is a list of your most recent orders that shipped. Click on the order you want to get replaced, click the option for a replacement to get shipped and there should be a box where you can write the reason for the return. Then you will have the option to print out a return label using USPS or UPS. Once you do that, you will get an e-mail acknowledging your return request and a link to print out the return form. The e-mail states that they must have the defective item within 30 days of the e-mail's date. Be sure to print out the return label ASAP since the link to the label expires after a few days (this is if you select to return ship with UPS, I have never returned it through the USPS). A replacement order will be entered into their system (free of charge) and it will be shipped out to you. Then, when the replacement arrives, swap out the discs and ship the bad unit back to them. :)

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Must be my DS9 withdrawal that finally sent me over the edge-2 months until season 5-I needed something to fill the gap!
I imagine when you're done with all three seasons of B5, it'll be DS9 that's filling the gap until the next season of B5 is released. ;)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Took me long enough, but I FINALLY got to seasons 2 and 3 of B5. I liked S1 but it didn't bowl me over, and I guess for that reason I put off S2 and S3 for a while. Partly because I spent most of October and November watching DS9 S5 and S6, and Buffy S1-S4, Angel S1 and the West Wing. Sounds like a lot in retrospect!

Started watching B5 S2 last Tuesday and just finished S3 today. My reaction is the same as most, in that S2 definitely improved on S1, and S3 kept me clicking for the next episode. Also agree that Grey 17 is Missing was half great/half horrible. Although I did find A Late Arrival From Avalon equally tedious. But what a finale! That had to be a hard one to take when it first aired-waiting months to see what happens next. I don't even want to wait until next month!

I really hope S5 gets announced soon for spring-I can't complete this series soon enough.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Yeah, having to wait that one week was really tough. :D

They had this habit of holding over the last 1/4/5 episodes of a season until right before the next season began (except the break between seasons 4 and 5.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Might I just ad that Walter Koenig is absolutely GREAT as Bester? He gets some of the best lines that realy have me on the floor! I think this is the best comeback of any TOS actor ever :)

Oh and one more thing, this time we europeans are the lucky ones. Amazon.de sells the boxes CHEAP! You pay ¤24,99 for the first season and ¤29,99 for each following season. That's one time the word Staffel won't bother me on the box. So for all Europeans reading this... go get 'em.

Britton

Screenwriter
Might I just ad that Walter Koenig is absolutely GREAT as Bester? He gets some of the best lines that realy have me on the floor! I think this is the best comeback of any TOS actor ever
Agreed. When he shows up, I've never said to myself "hey, it's Chekov playing a bad guy." He becomes Alfred Bester.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Agreed as well. I kind of snickered when I first saw him, but he has certainly become a character you love to hate.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I ordered mine from Germany ( German writing on the box doesn't bother me when I'm saving at least 30 Euros ). I had two floaters, discs 2 & 4. Both were scratched, but they played perfectly aside from a minor pause about 20 mins into 'A Late Delivery From Avalon'. When I reversed to look at said scene again, the pause had mysteriously vanished.
Season 3... when B5 finally overtook Dr Who as my favourite sci-fi show ever :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks