What's new

B & W (1 Viewer)

Bob Brehm

Auditioning
In pursuing info on Paradigm speakers, based on a response to my query on the Polk RM6700, I visited the local Paradigm dealer. Upon entering the elaborate showroom, I told the salesman that I felt I must be in the wrong store. "Not necessarily," he said, and ushered my wife and I into a plush showroom. I told him we were thinking about the Paradigm Cinema 70 speaker system, which turned out to be the absolute lowest end system they sold.

We weren't impressed -- the highs sounded "scratchy", for lack of a more descriptive word. We asked if he had anything similar to compare with. He brought up some B & W DM303s and a LCR3 center along with the Paradigm SB-8, which sounded distinctly better (to us). At my request he wrote it all down, with prices (about $1,100), and then volunteered to come to our house and surface wire it for the cost of the wire. We were last out of the store as they closed.

My question: Are there any other systems out there as good as B & W at this price point? The free installation was especially appealing to my wife, since I'm in a wheelchair and can't "walk the talk."

Bob

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,

I have B&W's, and love them. You can also look at Klipsch speakers. Sounds like you were in a Hi End dealer/stealer! These places feature savy salesfolk, nice warm lighted showrooms...with FAT price tags on shiney equipment. Avoid the sales pitches. And FAT tags can shrink if they know you are going to buy. The fact he offered to set up and wire the speaker was indeed a generous offer, but I feel he was also gonna use some FAT tagged audiophile speakercables.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I own B&W's 600 Series speakers and really love them. The Klipsch speakers that Darren mentions will have a completely different sound than B&W due to their horn tweater design. Only you can decide whether you prefer that type of sound.

Another alternative that I thought sounded similar to my B&W's, but at a lesser price, is Boston Acoustic. A friend bought a complete 5.1 system (I think it was their VR line?) after we compared them side-by-side with the B&W's. He powers them with a Denon 3801 receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks