B&W vs Energy for my HT, Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Shaver, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Auditioning

Hi,
    I'm looking for some advice from the Wise here. As I have built my HT I have made several choices on components based on advice received here, so I feel very comfortable coming back to the well.
    My System is centred around a Denon 3802, a Denon 1800 DVD/CD, an existing Sony 32" Trinitron. My quest or opportunity is for what speakers to go with. I posted some time back a series of 7 combinations, but have come down to two choices.
    1. The Energy Encore series plus their 8.2 Sub
    2. B&W, front 303's, centre LCR-3, rears CCM 65 and AWS 1000 Sub
    The speakers on the 4 corners in my application need to be ceiling mounted, small is good. I listen to about 70% music and the balance is TV and movies. I am a little unsure about the B&W CCM 65's, they are recessed architectural speakers, the B&W rep says they are a good match to the 303's, but I'm interested in others opinions on this.
    Another question, How musical are the Encores? I listen to mostly Classical, Jazz and Rock.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    [​IMG]

2. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

The encores and the 3802 would be my choice. If you search this board you will find many praises to that setup.

3. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

The B&W 303's are really incredible little speakers... I just bought four of them for a little bedroom rig. Haven't gotten them yet (had to order the maple finish). I also went with the Adire Rava sub and bought an Onkyo 595. Don't know much about the Energy's but, i've heard good things about them. You probably couldn't go wrong with either choice. [​IMG]
    EDIT:
    Onkyo 595 went back, ordered an Integra 6.2! Lol...

4. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Auditioning

Hi Chip,
    I like the maple look as well. Any ideas on wall hard ware for these 303's?
    Take care,
    Jim[​IMG]

5. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

For mounting hardware, check this out:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-p3utjju...1BT77B&o=M&a=0
    Nice thing about these are that you don't have to damage your speakers by drilling. I was going to order a set of these but for my 602 mains and surrounds, they're a bit small and decided to go with stands all around.

6. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

The BT-77's are GREAT! You won't find a better made mount for the money. I could literally do chin-ups on mine (screwed into the stud of course [​IMG]).
    Pete

7. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Auditioning

Thanks for the lead on teh wall mounts, they look excellent!
    Take Care,
    Jim[​IMG]

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Hey, those wall brackets look great! I might just have to order a couple pair of them! Thanks for the link Bob.. [​IMG]