What's new

B&W vs Diva (1 Viewer)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Thanks for your response Russell. I'm aware that the Divas have gotten some reviews. Are there any plans to have your Divas reviewed by some of the more popular mags? (Sound & vision, Widescreen, HT Mag, etc)

I would be curious to see how some of the 6-ohm Divas perform with the lower priced A/V receivers that are more common amongst the budget-conscious.

JoelO

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ryan,

If I may suggest, you can just get a pair of the 2.1 first and then AB-ed them to the B&W, Paradigm, Polk, etc at your local dealer. Worst scenario you only lose shipping cost. Or maybe you can find another Diva user in Illinois that won't mind giving you a demo.

I would try to go to local dealers to AB speakers though. I can't imagine bringing your Diva 2.1 to CC type of store and ask the Sales Rep if you can AB some speakers. Maybe I just have way too much bad exp. w/ those type of stores.

Joel

Russell W

Agent
Drew,

Thanks for your question. This is very valid and we welcome the mainstream Mag's etc to review Diva's. I can't say now but because of the consumer demand we have honored some recent request for reviewer samples... We'll keep everyone posted.

Russell W

Agent
Ryan,

One of our customer's has started a list containing people that are willing to give demo's in their homes. This is complete of the customers own doing and is not a function of AV123.com. But you can check the list out on the avsforum under the unofficial Diva thread.

I hope this helps!

Ryan_SS

Grip
Thanks Russell I am on that list but as of yet no one with in three hrs has a set that I can listen to, but I believe now that you have personally cameinto my thread makes me much more comfortable in at least giving the Divas a try like they have said the most I would be out is shipping. I appreciate your time. I now have to crawl in my dark hole and pound my head against the wall to see which I feel most comfortable. I think there should be a travelling demo for all speakers lol but that will never happen. It's just time for me to make a desision and stick with it

Rick Ewing

Agent
Rodney,

I'll agree that everything is in the listening. Diva's have been getting good buzz around the web but the real deal comes from your own audition. I remember auditioning Definitive powered towers for the first time a couple of years ago. According to lots of review and owners, these speakers were the proverbial bomb. Well, I listened to them and thought that yes, when mated to home theatre applications, they were great. But I was less than thrilled with their performance with two channel music. And I'm a guy who spends 70-80% of his time listening to HT rather than music so the Definitive's music problems must have really stood out for me.

I'm hoping the Divas have a better mix. I'm intriqued by the design and what people have to say about it. But untimately it will weigh on my own subjective opinion. Hopefully I'll do better than a panel of figure skating judges.

Rick Ewing

Rick Ewing

Agent
Russell,

I agree, my Corvette/Ferrari comparison falls apart on the assembly and distribution model issue. I don't know many car manuafacturers that have a business model like yours, at least not anymore.

Since I live in Atlanta (and so do you apparently), is there any way I can request a local audition? I'd like to do this maybe sometime next month or April. Right now is not good but maybe in 30-60 days.

Rick Ewing

a.k.a. Sevenfeet on AVS Forum

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Russell, While I agree that it appears that the speakers my be a good value, to say that they compete with speakers 2-3 times as much $ is really an odd statement. Seriously as we all know we all have heard speakers that cost outlandish amounts, but they do something that really doesn't do much for us (individually), an example of this FOR ME-would be almost any form of Planar speakers, they just don't do it for me, thus I can say that a $600 pair of speakers "compete" (and imho-beat the much more expensive speaker). Some people have taken the look of the Divas and automatically compared them to the B&Ws, I am not sure that this is a fair comparison since they are totally different materials being used (silk VS soft dome tweets, Aluminum VS paper/kevlar drivers, etc.. Yes I am aware that the CM line uses alum drivers, and 6.1 uses a kevlar driver), but if this is how things are compared, then saying the 6.1 (being a $1300 speaker) can "compete" with the $3500 b&w 804, I would say that that is not a "fair" comparison, and since they would sound totally different b/c of the materials used, then some people may prefer the sound of the Diva more(like my analogy of $600 speakers VS expensive planars). Most speakers have a very unique sound and I would hope that someone who thinks that the B&W 804 is a rip off, simply doesn't appreciate its tonal characteristics, and I would hope that they wouldn't purchase something that they don't enjoy (esp at that price). I would venture to that even some B&W fans like the 600 series better than the new CM line, just based on the different characteristics of the speakers. As someone who owns $2000 B&Ws I can say that there are many many pairs of far more expensive speakers that my speakers "compete" with (I have a pair of VAndersteens and Magna=planars that I have had given to me, that I don't use because I don't like how they sound, even compared to my cheap B&W 602s), since I don't like how they sound, that Is why when I upgrade I will go with the sound that I like (up the 800 ladder). What I am trying to say is that if you love the diva sound and don't like the B&W sound, you might as well say that they "compete" with the $40,000 Nautilus speaker, since you wont like them anyway.

I hope that is not too confusing, as I rambled on. I am glad there are companies like Swan out there that can continue to raise the bar for good sound for hte $$ and also give all the other guys a little push as well.

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Check out this link. LOTS of info on the Divas.
I have a set on order. 6.1 mains , C3 center and 2.1 with stands for the rears. I can't wait to get my hands on them. Hopefully they will ship by tomorrow. Unofficial Diva FAQ

Rey_Ramos

Agent
Diva speakers are driving me crazy. Just when I had my choices narrowed down to Klipsch, Paradigm, Axiom, Aperion, and Ascend....Diva comes along and makes it even more difficult to choose. :D But the Divas stand out the most to me now. The look and from what literally hundreds of people are saying. The price seems right and AV123 seems to be oustanding with their service. I have sent them emails and they respond, the latest, by the next day. I've seen great pictures of them and they are truly beautiful. My problem now is choosing on which ones to buy. (Hey if my wife says that i can get anyone of the Diva speakers, I guess Divas it is. :emoji_thumbsup: ) Since i will probably go with the standard 80hz setup with a sub (SVS Ultra!!! I love my wife more and more everyday) does it make sense to get 6.1's. Some people say yay some say nay. I'm lost. Can someon help this Don choose a Diva???!!! :frowning:

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
I have an SVS Ultra to go along with my Diva 6.1s and C3. It is a lovely combination, IMO. However, there are lots of options...

One might argue that the 4.1s would be perfectly adequate with a nice subwoofer, so the 6.1s might be overkill. The SVS CS+ is more cost effective than the Ultra right now and if you get a Diva package the HSU sub at $399 is a fabulous bang-for-buck.

--Steve

Rey_Ramos

Agent
It's funny but i have been reading so much on speakers/subwoofers/recievers/amps etc. And i have seen so many people on this forum and many others pick their systems out and now it is finally my turn and am lost. Just too funny.

Back to the subject. Appreciate the reply. But i have my heart set on the Ultra, i've been reading about SVS and practically every piece of material that every mentioned the acronym and i have truly fallen in love with their product and i have never heard or even seen one up close. But since speaking with my wife her logic is that if you are going to drop 600-700 hundred on a sub might as well spend a little bit more and get the top model. My biggest problem is picking the line of diva to make my system with. I know that i need the C3 and will use the 2.1's as surrounds. It will be too hard for me to place the R3's where i am at now. But the front main speakers are the biggest problem. Like i said earlier i will be relying on the sub to carry everything from 80hz down does it make sense to get the 6.1 or the 4.1's. Or does it make sense to make all the speakers 2.1's. Is the midbass from 80hz up on the 6.1's so good that i should get it regardless. Can someone actually compare the midbass performance of the 2.1's 4.1's and the 6.1's??? I know it is a bit much to ask but this is actually the closest i have been to deciding on what to get and i haven't even heard any of the speakers myself, imagine that. Isn't the internet great???!!!

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
Rey, if it were me I would go with the 4.1s or the 6.1s for the mains rather than the 2.1s. The package price of the 4.1s, C3, and 2.1s is *extremely* attractive, but if you don't want to feel like you've left anything on the table then you should ask what that same combo would cost with the 6.1s instead.

--Steve

Rey_Ramos

Agent
I like that. I think you're right. If i am going to go top of the line might as well go all the way. Within what i could afford ofcourse. Put it this way, Diva has me working a lot of overtime, no other speaker got me doing that. :) Thanks for the advice. I am going to email them now and put a price down for the whole system. If anyone else has anything to say, feel free i would love more input.

PomingF

Second Unit
Rey, as I explained to a user on another forum, if you are a predominantly HT kinda guy the 4.1 fronts plus an SVS should do fine. On the other hand if you do much stereo music listening at all you may want to consider the 6.1's for their dedicated midrange driver and a bit better bass extension. Just my $ .02.

PF

Rey_Ramos

Agent
That's what i have been hearing, that the midrange for the 6.1's is pretty exceptional. And i know i will be listening to more and more music once i get the system. It only makes more and more sense to just get the 6.1's. Just getting nervous about this purchase. I don't buy myself many things and once i start spending the amount that i plan for this it makes me a little nervous. :eek: The only thing that i have no reservations about is the Ultra....I just know what i will be getting once i get that thing hook up. This is a future picture of me watching TPM with the Ultra :
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
YEAH BABY....

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Rey,

When you open the boxes and hook up your new Divas, you will immediately forget what you paid for them whichever model you choose. As PMF said, if you listen to much music as I do, I would choose the 6.1's and never look back. You will be getting pleasure from the Divas for years after you have forgotten the extra few hours of overtime. And don't let anyone kid you, The Diva's provide more value/performance/build quality and service than any $5000.00 speaker out there.

Good Luck,

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks