B&W surround question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil P, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Phil P

Phil P Agent

B&W does not seem to have a dipole/bipole speaker for the rear surrounds in their 800 Nautilus line. But they do have the CDS6 which is a THX approved dipole in their Custom Installation Series. Does this speaker match with the 800 Nautilus line, or would it be better to just use the SCM1, which is a monopolar surround in the Nautilus line, for the rear surrounds?

2. Pete H

Pete H Stunt Coordinator

I use the SCM1's matched with 802's and the HTM1. I can't imagine movies needing to sound better. Proper placement is probably more of an issue with these than with dipoles. (I would admit the real reason I purchased the SCM1's had more to do with music than movies.)

3. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I have DS6's. They are the same as the CDS6 but a not inwalls. I think they do better as rears than surrounds. I would go with the SCM1's. Really, for 804's or 805s, you could use 805's, or CDMN1's or the flate version (can't remember the model name), or 691s3. Any higher in the N800 line and I would use SCM1's w/o question. Totally depends on your budget. I am picking up N804's and DM601S3 because I don't feel like blowing too much cash on surrounds (move DS6 to rear). I would rather put more money in the center (NHTM1).

Marc

4. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

phil,
    ive done this search myself too, as i was wondering what dipole to go with the cdm-nt line.
    seems that the ds6/cs6 where built to handle the limited frequencies delivered by LD and Prologic sources.
    with 85Hz - 8kHz range they're inferior to the cdm1nt's range; 60Hz - 25kHz.
    Also, i think B&W are hinting us that dipole isnt necesery. otherwise they would make one.
    I currently run a paradigm studio setup with adp surrounds, and until sacd/dvd-a is in my living room, i prefer dipoles.
    [​IMG]