B & W subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Newton, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

do you recommend them????? I will be using B & W 603's with either Pioneer 45 or Sony 4ES, mostly for home theater. My room is 25' x 15'.

2. John Spicer

John Spicer Agent

I cant say that I have heard them but I matched my 603's with a SVS sub and have not looked back [​IMG]

-- John

3. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

B+W subs are overpriced and underperforming. Look elsewhere.

4. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

Ditto John
    CDM's & SVS 20-39pc+ equals [​IMG]

5. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

Once again I totally disagree......After auditioning the SVS and the Hsu.....I still went with the B&W ASW600. I know that is the sub of preference here but like all speakers it is a matter of preference. Listen to a few before you take the plunge. Advice is great, but your ears are the best decision maker...

6. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

B&W makes great products, still, having said that, take into account that all B&W's new subs are the relatively small sealed types.
    This type of sub is not able to attain real low frequencies without compensating for its defficencies with lots of amp power. The ones that have this are therefore very expensive.

7. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

My brother has the B&W set-up you are refering too, and it sounds pretty decent. I don't know how much it costs, but subwoofer wise it produces a softish thump, and it blends well with the speakers. I cannot say how it compares to the SVS, but i would think the B&W sub sounds like a good buy at around $300 bucks....if it where to cost you more I think i would listen to the SVS or HsU and make a choice from there.

8. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

That's the problem........the only subs locally that I can audition are Klipsch, Paragigm, Def Tech, & Velodyne + B & W.

9. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I have an ASW1000 matched with 603 mains. My ASW performs very well and more than meets the demands of my room and listening preferences...

That being said, I got a crazy good deal on that sub. If I were paying retail, I probably would have gone with a SVS or HSU.

--Steve

10. Liam Shan

Liam Shan Extra

I have the baby B&W ASW300 sub matched with 602s3 mains and have been very happy. It is quite amazing for a sub of it's size. I needed a relatively small sub and found the little b&w to give me the best result from my test selection. Great musically and performs well in HT down to quite low frequencies (quoted to be 27 - 150 Hz -3dB). I haven't heard SVS or HSU so these my be better, but I can say that I'm very happy with the sound and build quality from my little B&W.

11. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

I have the asw 650 paired with 7nt, Willem hit the nail on the head. The new B&W subs are seal enclosure, and have problems going to real low frequencies. On a couple of scenes from MI 2 my 650 let out some weird noises. On the other hand I think B&W sub does a great job at music because its punchy, on movies it shakes my couch. My living room is about as same as yours, and my B&W does a fine job.
    It does have problems with very low frequencies but thats something I can live with. My reason for buying my 650 was that I wanted to match with all my other B&W speakers and that it was better and cheaper than some of the M&K that I compared it with. Just my 2¢.