B&W speakers matching with other series?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoon Lee, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

I have B&W 7NT and CNT for the front line powered by Rotel 1066/1075 combo. So, when the time comes I'm thinking of upgrading my rear speakers to 1NT. However, since 1NT costs ~$1400 with its stands, I'm having a second thought; what if I get B&W 600 which's less than half the price and add RB1080 for stronger main left/right? How're are 600 series speakers doing with NT range main speakers? Would it make quite a difference? Would it be a better idea to go with the same range? Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

Yoon,

I also have the 7nt and cnt for the front line, 600 s3 for the surrounds driven by rotel 1075. I think the 600 works great in this system, I have them on stands and they do a wonderful job. I don't think it would make that big of a difference considering the 1nt's are close to $1000 more. If you listen to alot of multi channel music than go for the 1nt's, but if movies and 2 channel music is your thing than I would go with the 1080 and the cheaper surrounds.
    I never could tell too much difference in the back anyways. I recomend the 601 s3 over the the 600, because the 601 has a has more depth and is highly regarded by What HiFi.
    Just my opinion, Good Luck.

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Unless you're seriously into mutli-channel music, anything over the 601 is overkill. I have the 601S2s for rears and couldn't be happier with them. I have similar equipment to you. Check out my web site.

4. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I also have a similar system: 1066, 985mk2 (prev. gen 1080), 1NT mains, CNT center, 600 s3 rears, 20-39pc sub. Sounds great to me for HT. I'm only listening to 2 channel music for now.

My 600s are mounted on the wall via B-Tech brackets so that the rear ports can breathe.

I can't see trying to mount 1NTs or even 601s on the wall for my system. Too big.

5. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

When I used to audition 603 & 604, they were quite boomy compared to NT range, and that's exactly what I fear if I decide to go with 601 instead of 1NT...

6. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

You really won't notice the difference on surrounds. It's the law of diminishing returns. Is it really worth laying out good money for quality speakers that will be used solely as surrounds? Save yourself hundreds of dollars.

But it is your decision, and if you have the $ then go for the 1NTs. Can you do an in-home demo of the 1NTs and the 601s?

7. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Yoon,

I used have 603s but recently traded up for 805s & and an HTM2. I kept the 601s for surrounds and they are fine. I have no desire to upgrade them. I am do not find the 601s boomy in any sense - they blend well as surrounds.