B&W Series 600 questions/advice

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MarkB, Oct 16, 2003.

1. MarkB

MarkB Extra

Hello,

I hoping to get some help/input regarding the B&W 600 series speakers. I've been auditioning for a while and these seem to be the way to go, but I have a few questions/concerns that I'm guessing I'll get better help here than in the store. I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post, so let me know if you need more detail.

Planned Speakers:
    DM602 s3 for the mains
    DM600 s3 for surround
    LCR600 for the center
    Separate Sub(undetermined)

Some Details: These speakers will be used in a basement home theater 60+% movies. Very large area over all(5500 CuFt). Placement is a major concern. My screen will be located in an area that looks like a bay window with a "shelf" that will be extending out from below the screen. My speakers will probably need to be placed on this shelf. It will be constructed in the same way a standard wall is (2x4's and drywall). Will I have major problems with either the 602s or the center channel on this shelf? I am mainly concerned with the effect if will have on the low frequencies and the chance of the sound becoming muddy in that environment.

Other concerns:
    1)Will the DM600’s work for the surrounds? The main reason I chose these over the 601’s was for the convenience of wall mounting the rears. If I use the 601’s, they would need to be wall mounted and I know that would not be optimal, but would it be bad?
    2)If the 602’s would cause too many problems up front would 601’s work in this sized room?

That should be enough rambling to get started. Any help/input is appreciated!

Update: I added a link in my profile so you can see the layout of my basement if that will help.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

My 9NTs came with foam plugs for the purpose of taking out some boom when mounted close to the back wall. I don't know if the 602s come with them, but if you have a problem, I'm sure your dealer would give you some to see if they help. I would stick with the 602s for the Mains.

I think the 601s would be better for Surrounds if you can mount them without too much trouble. You get the 6.5" midrange and the port on the baffle which should be better for a shelf mount.

Also, don't scrimp on the sub and you should have a very nice sounding speaker set.

Good luck,

DJ

3. MarkB

MarkB Extra

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I guess the main reason I concerned is that I frequently see have read that you need to give the 602's room to breath and unfortunately, I don't have a lot of room (at least for the mains).

Anyone else with any experience with this situation?

Thanks,
    Mark

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Put them on stands and get them out into the room for the best results. Most speakers will do better with room to breathe. If you're firm on putting them on a shelf, isolate them from the shelf and try plugging the ports as suggested.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I think most speakers that are designed for placement away from a room boundry will have some elevated low end response when up against a wall; there is no way around that.

The question is how much, and at what frequencies.

I know that there have been some bookshelf units (the vendors excape me at the moment) designed for placement up against a wall; that may be a better bet.

But it all depends on the room.

On the plus side, if you use a sub, then you will be crossing these over, which may help you WRT any elevated frequencies that you get with shelf/wall placement.

I just finished off my speaker set up with S1 B&W 600's (604s, 601s, and CC6). The fronts are about 2 feet from the rear wall (measured to the front baffle), and the rears are about 1 foot out.

I crossover at 80 hz to a HSU 1225, plus I EQ them from 80 hz to 800 hz. Any boost I may be getting is EQ'd out.

Good luck with your set-up. I think the B&Ws are fine speakers.

BGL

6. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

The 602's do come with plugs. I have tried them out just to see and they definitely tame them down. I am basically 99% HT and like them better with out the plugs though. I use the 602 S3 for mains along with the LCR-600 center in a 2880 cubic ft space. These work great for HT but they really shine for music imo.