What's new

B&W SCM-1's all around? (1 Viewer)

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
I currently have the Axiom M22's and VP150 center, with some in ceiling rears from a generic manufacturer. Powered by my Rotel 1055 and with an HSU sub.

I am thinking of going to a projector setup in my living room, and was going to save up for the B&W Nautilus 804's.

BUT, now I've been listening to some SACD's and the in ceiling's are really buggin me.

Plus with a screen setup, having all wall mounted speakers would really please the wife.

Has anyone heard the SCM-1's as fronts? Are they too "small" to provide decent fullness?

My room is 15x16 and not a dedicated theater.

Are there better wall-mounted speakers for the $$?

Rutgar

Second Unit
The Nautilus SCM-1 is basically nothing more than the N805 all squished to mount nicely on a wall for surround. They will work just fine for mains. But, you really wouldn't want your mains to be on a wall, so I would suggest you buy the N805's instead, and place them on stands. I would also suggest using them in conjunction with a subwoofer. I have pair of SCM-1's that I do use for surrounds. When I first got them, I hooked them up as mains (with my sub), and they sounded great.

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
Rutgar-

I definitely realize how normally you wouldn't want mains on the wall. I currently have my Axioms on stands for that reason. But my room would work perfectly (people walk right past the speaker area) with the speakers up out of the way, especially around a plasma.

The way I figure it, I will get Wife Approval to spend the extra $$ for a Nautilus series speaker if I can get it up off the floor, and have a clean seamless AV installation. I have already moved the components into a nearby dedicated cabinet.

I've considered in-walls before, but stud placement and the general lack of quality of most inwalls stopped that idea.

I thought of 805's on wall mounted stands, kind of like shelves, but that kind of defeat's the purpose of free standing speakers if they are going to be only and 1 or 2 from the wall.

That's why I'm curious about the SCM-1. I'm really wondering if the new Nautilus line will improve on these too.

Oh, and I do have a sub off to the corner, so the low's are taken care of.

So, would the SCM's sound horrible as mains? Or just not "ideal"?

thanks!

Rutgar

Second Unit
Well no, I don't think they would sound horrible. I'm very happy with the sound of my SCM-1's. As long as you understand what you're sacrificing by placing them on the wall (sound stage mostly). Let me say this; If I HAD to have my mains mounted on the wall, I think the SCM-1's are a great choice. I can't comment on the any of the newer B&W's though, because I haven't heard them.

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
Do they carry any bass to speak of? I would imagine for a grand apiece they should.

Rutgar

Second Unit
Yes, they do. I have them crossed at 60Hz to the Sub, and they sound great. I heard a pair of N805's by themselves in one of the local Hi-Fi shops, and the Bass was rich and full. Mind you, he had a perfect room, with perfect positioning, and was driving them with Classe' equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks