B&W Questions (802, 805, SCM1)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GermainW, Nov 15, 2001.

1. GermainW

GermainW Extra

This is sort of a follow-up to my previous thread but contains 2 questions concerning B&W specifically. Hence the new thread.
    Some folks have indicated to me that they'd rather use the B&W 805's in the rear as opposed to using the B&W SCM1s. How much "OOoomph" will we be sacrificing by going with the wall-mounted SCM1's? (The fronts are a pair of 802's).
    Second question has to do with amplification. I had mistakenly read the Proceed "BPA-2" (125W/ch) as "HPA-2" (250W/ch) on the invoice so it looks like my dad bought the smaller amp to power our 802's instead of the bigger 250 Watts/ch. My initial reaction is that for a pair of speakers like the 802 (with a "recommended amplification" of 50-500Watts), we'd be much better off with the bigger HPA-2. That's my gut feel, but I am in no way a pro. Need some feedback/support/reassurances here before I make my case for a change from BPA to HPA!

2. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    Well, in this day and age, more is usually better. But that depends on how much you are going to drive the speakers. I have a 200 watt amp driving my 805's and I know I don't use it to it's capacity. Most people will tell you to get the larger wattage amp. I would tend to agree if the cost within your budget. If you went with the 125 watt amp, I don't think you would be disappointed.
    As for the first question, again look at your budget. I use the B&W DS6 for my surround speakers and am completely happy. Wall mounting does have it's benefit because you don't need to take up any floor space with stands, etc.
    Well, that's my opinion.
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Germain,
    I've auditioned a system with 801's in the front, HTM1 in the center and SCM1's in the rear powered by Classe 200watt/ch amplifiers. I found the SCM1's to be excellent. I don't think you'd be sacrificing much if anything by going with these instead of 805's.
    As for the amplifiers, with B&W's I would go with as much amplification as you can afford.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    Evidence of my obsession.

4. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I'd personally get the N805s for rear, but it's really up to personal preference. On the amplification, however, 125wpc from the Proceed to the 802 is not going to cut it. 125wpc is okay for the HTM-1 and 805s, but the 802 needs some juice. The 250wpc Proceed should work well.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"

5. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Go with the bigger amp.
    I would prefer 805s