What's new

B&W pricing (1 Viewer)

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I returned Def Tech Pro Towers. They were fatiguing to me; my ears felt like they were plugging up like in an airplane. It may be partially due to the acoustics of my room. I replaced with Mission 774s which sound good. Don't know if the soft tweeter on the Missions vs the aluminum on the Def techs matter. I have to say I talked to Def Tech reps at the time and they weren't pushy or tried to downplay the problem; just said my room and maybe ears just weren't a good match with them.

I have to admit not to have a lot of expertise in analyzing or hearing small differences in speakers. I only listened to the 703,704,705. I liked the 704s, they didn't have a sub hooked up so the 705s sounded lacking.. I should have compared with 603 or 604s in the same room, but this was a first time just ohear what the deal was about them.

I think I really need to hear them in my home and A-B them with my Missions to decide if they are worth the $$. It would be nice to get a loaner from a dealer who would appreciate me wanting to try them in my home and be able to return them without feeling guilty that the dealer is taking a hit on returned merchandise.

Are you in the Bloomingdale area? I'm maybe 20 minutes away from there.

Garrett V

Agent
Phil where did you get the missions? Are you looking to replace these? I am looking to demo some soft dome tweeter speakers but there is not a lot out there.

Bob*S

Stunt Coordinator
Garrett-

Have you listened to the Phase Technology speakers? I'm waiting to hear some in their Velocity line when the dealer gets them in. They employ soft-dome tweeters (in fact, their founder developed the first and holds a number of patents for them).

Bob

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Garrett, I got the Missions at Tweeter about 5 years ago. I don't think they carry them any more. I had seen newer models at Abt (but not on their web site now) and Great Indoors by Yorktown mall (not sure if they still carry any).

If the B&W 704s were much better, I'd replace them but not sure about any immediate plans yet.

RichardK

Second Unit
i was given 10% off on my last purchase of B&W...i had a 'candid' conversation with my dealer and he said that advertising a discount is a big NO,NO...giving a discount to you, a valued and hopefully long time customer of his/her, is not a problem...if you dont get a discount on the speakers work a throw in of 15%-20% in cabling...$2000 spkrs at full price = to $300-400 worth. if you are getting more than 10% and your package includes more than just B&W speakers, then your discount is coming right off the top of the cabling/stands/power cords etc...IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks