What's new

B&W pricing (1 Viewer)

Garrett V

Agent
I was looking at the 600 series B&W speakers over the weekend. The dealer indicated they cant come down from the "list prices" on B&W speakers like they could on similiar Klipsch or Def Techs that they sell. The dealer claimed B&W pricing is the same as list. Has anyone had any similar experiences with B&W? Thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
That's simply not true. B&W does get pissed off when dealers give too much of a discount, but all dealers I know of will discount. If you have another dealer within an hour or two I think I would take my business else where.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Although it was in Montreal, I auditioned the same series and the dealer quoted list for a package, but assured me there was room to haggle if and when I decide to go with them. (Still working on that.)

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
its one of the few lines i really dont mind discounting to my customers. velodyne is price fixed and you cant move on, but B&W is fine with it.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
I got my 602s for under MSRP, but then again, I've known the dealer for over a decade :D.

Try getting a quote from another B&W dealer in the area (a few hour drive), and assuming that their price is less, tell this dealer that here's proof that B&W speakers are sold for less than MSRP, and if he doesn't give you a break, than tell him you're going to take your business elsewhere. If you make it clear that you have the intent on buying these speakers, this dealer would be a fool to let you buy the speakers from someone else.

Bob*S

Stunt Coordinator

Which, in part, explains people's devotion to SVS on this and other forums.

Bob

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i personally dont consider price a factor in any of my purchasing decisions. i only evaluate performance. thats why i dont have a problem with cables. sure they are expensive, but for what they do (even add 4% to a system performance), i buy them.

velodyne is a great product, regardless of its price tag or huge markup.

Bob*S

Stunt Coordinator

I love the Velodyne DDs.

I think most people have to assess "value" which for some means price, for others it's performance and others have different priorities. I'm not one to tell another that his value system is wrong. I just found it interesting to juxtapose your remark about Velodyne's inflexibility against the number of people who love their SVS sub that they got at a fraction of the price.

Bob

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i guess thats exactly why im a little skeptical about SVS. i hear so many people talking about value. they love them, and you cant beat them for the price...

my question is, can you beat them at twice the price? because they are SO cheap, and if a sub twice the price can beat it, well, im gonna go with the one that can beat it :)

but i understand what you are saying about velodyne. it is not a cheap product by any stretch of the imagination. (except their DLS series, i LOVE selling those things, they are cheap and perform very well).

but the DD series, $3k for a 10" i think... its a LOT of money for what you get. its a clean clean sub, but it still $3k...

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator

Well there is a problem with that logic. Because you are now changing the playing field. Why not spend twice the money on an SVS? I'll bet the two SVS subs that now are at the same price of you other sub, will most likely now outperform the other sub. I'm just going on Two is better than one theory, not actual data or anything...

I think when it comes down to a performance/dollar amount that's how you can judge value...

I mean for 3K, you are almost in the range of 3 PB2+s.....and I'd like to see a single subwoofer do as well as three... This goes for any sub manufacturer, not just speaking for SVS.

There are some people out there that think because they've spent a good amount on something (anything it doesn't matter what) that they are getting the best product for their money and they are convinced of that (look at all the happy Bose owners :laugh: ).

-------

I got a good amount off my B&W 600 Series speakers, I paid (average) almost $100+ off each speaker (or set of speakers).

DarL

Agent
I recently bought a whole b&w setup thanks to all the info I read in this forum:
2-604 s3
2-602 s3
1- lcr600
2- stands

I got 20% off the whole setup, if i were to start off at a lower price, i think it's possible for them to go lower on the price. I was wondering if I got a good price or is that the normal going price? I still haven't received the b&w yet, but i would like some advice on a matching subwoofer for an 25' x 20' w/ high ceiling room. Would my denon avr3803 power the b&w 600 series or would i need an additional amp, if so what would go with an denon receiver? Thanks

GaryAR

Agent
Garrett-

Assuming it's not the place you're talking about, have you been to Son Ideal on Bishop just off St. Catherines? I don't know if they'll go below list (they might) but the guys there are top-notch. They're very knowledgeable and trustworthy, and they don't mind talking with you for a couple hours in a non-pushy and very un-salesman-like manner. Even more importantly, they don't get pissed if you leave without buying anything.

It's certainly my favorite hifi shop, and i'm 6 hours away. They carry B&W as well as opera (very nice speakers), Quad and Triangle (which I'm less of a fan of).

-Gary

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Garrett, I would try Barretts in Naperville. They told me they would probably work with me if I decided to buy. Also Sound and Vision in Orland Park. The only other B&W place I know is Audio Consultants.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure what the real story is... The salesman at Fox Valley said they would of course match any other offer I had. I just went in and told him upfront I wanted to hear the 700 series but I was not planning to buy immediately.

After listening for awhile he asked what finish I would want to see if they had any in stock and that he would get me a price. Of course I already knew the list price from the price tags and he repeated them to me earlier because I had asked what the price of stands were for the 705s to compare with 704 so I assumed he was going to come back with a discount. But he came back and said no maple were in stock and didn't say anything else about price so I don't know if he would have given me a different price if they were in stock and I said I wanted them?

I would tell them if they want me to buy from them they had better give me a discount since I could pay list anywhere else. I'm not sure how flexible Barrett's return policy is vs any other dealers? I was fortunate when I bought my current speakers; I had bought a different brand which caused me a lot of discomfort after listening awhile. I was able to exchange them for my current ones without any hassle at Tweeter.

Garrett V

Agent
Phil, what did you think of the B&W's?? Plus what speakers did you return that were giving you problems??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks